Fuel additives?

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a plethora of diesel fuel additives on the market. I had no idea diesel fuel required so much "baby-ing"--or does it?

I'm currently putting in 8 ounces of DieselKleen with every tankful. That seems to be the most common additive that folks use. But what/when is there a need for biocides, cleaners, stabilizers, etc.?

The old gal has 250k miles on her; trying to keep her happy.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Someone will inevitably point you to this study, so I'll beat 'em to the chase: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

I use Stanadyne Performance formula. A case of 12 runs about $75 on Amazon and lasts me about a year. My truck only has 90K on it, but I'm hoping this will prolong the IP/injector replacement as long as possible. Seems to take some of the 'clack' out of the engine noise, a bit more than when I ran DieselKleen. I figure if Stanadyne made the IP, it stands to reason they'd know what kind of additive keeps it happy.

Mike

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a few gallons of biodiesel in every tank. I run b20 full time. Best thing you can do for these DB2 pumps. No need to waste money on additives. Biodiesel cleans and lubricates very well. But, it will gell in colder climates so be careful.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Stanadyne Performance formula. A case of 12 runs about $75 on Amazon and lasts me about a year. My truck only has 90K on it, but I'm hoping this will prolong the IP/injector replacement as long as possible. Seems to take some of the 'clack' out of the engine noise, a bit more than when I ran DieselKleen. I figure if Stanadyne made the IP, it stands to reason they'd know what kind of additive keeps it happy.

Mike

My thoughts exactly. I also run this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We sell and recommend the Stanadyne products as well. We are keeping an eye on it though, since Clarcor bought Stanadyne's fuel treatments. I doubt anything will change though. It's good stuff.

Gosh... I wasn't aware Amazon was selling the stuff. It's few dollars more from me. I can't compete.

Reaction score
Put a few gallons of biodiesel in every tank. I run b20 full time. Best thing you can do for these DB2 pumps. No need to waste money on additives. Biodiesel cleans and lubricates very well. But, it will gell in colder climates so be careful.

Wish I could find it more easily around here. The absolute quietest I've ever heard my truck run was the one time I found B20 at the pump. I was amazed how much quieter it was, actually.

Mike

Reaction score
We sell and recommend the Stanadyne products as well. We are keeping an eye on it though, since Clarcor bought Stanadyne's fuel treatments. I doubt anything will change though. It's good stuff.

Gosh... I wasn't aware Amazon was selling the stuff. It's few dollars more from me. I can't compete.

Re: Clarcor, I wouldn't be worried. As a former Clarcor employee, I can tell you they're real big on buying out companies to diversify, but they rarely get into the inner workings of the plant itself.

Didn't know you sold Stanadyne additives. I'll hit you up for next year's supply.

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have ALWAYS used Stanadyne Performance in my fuel. I purchased 3 or 4 cases of it on my was to the 2009 rally in Phoenix. That's 6 half gallon containers per case. Still have 2 gallons of it.. So its working fine as frogs hair in my rig. Wifey hates the smell. I like it and hell its my truck...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.