front tank doesnt work but will fill up when switch is on front

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On My 1986 f350 front tank doesnt work. every time i switch over to it, the gauge stay on the rear tank and pulls fuel out of the rear tank. It also sends the fuel return back to the front tank causing it to overfill and spill out. i have replaced the selector valve by the fuel tanks, the connector going into the selector, and the switch in the dash. (i have a parts truck that i pulled these parts from and i know they where working just fine before i pulled it off) anything else can it be? im kinda at a loss sense i have replaced they whole system pretty much. could it be the in tank unit? my understanding is that thats just a pickup tube and fuel gauge. Thanks

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to look that up. Been extreamly busy with the truck. Converted it over to 4x4, rebuilt the transmission, new injection pump and injectors, new mirrors and electric fuel pump setup. And about 20 other things im sure i forgot i have done to it. but will have to search for that. Was just hoping that it was a common problem that someone could say yeah its this and i could change that out real quick.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol thats not a bad idea but the truck already has a large in bed tank that needs to be cleaned and hooked back up.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way that can happen is you have the return lines switched, rear to front and front to rear.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 52

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Or something caught in the FSV causing it to basically return to BOTH tanks while only drawing from one.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's most likely it. It only leaks fuel when it is on the front tank but still shows the fuel level of the rear and pulls off the rear

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fss has some crap blocking the valve from completely operating. Remove it. Drill out the brads that holds the body togehter and replace them with screws that can cut their own threads in the plastic. Inside the valve is a small electric motor that changes from tank to tank. When "stuff" gets caught in the ports it can't move all the way in one direction.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will have to try that. Thank you for all the help so far. The wiring diagram and cleaning are good places to start. Going away for a week so going to be a bit before i can work on it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On My 1986 f350 front tank doesnt work. every time i switch over to it, the gauge stay on the rear tank and pulls fuel out of the rear tank. It also sends the fuel return back to the front tank causing it to overfill and spill out. i have replaced the selector valve by the fuel tanks, the connector going into the selector, and the switch in the dash. (i have a parts truck that i pulled these parts from and i know they where working just fine before i pulled it off) anything else can it be? im kinda at a loss sense i have replaced they whole system pretty much. could it be the in tank unit? my understanding is that thats just a pickup tube and fuel gauge.

Lemme see now.
You changed the FSV, Dash switch, FSV wire harness but still have the same problem.
There is no way the Dash tank selector switch could have caused this problem.
The wire harness to the FSV could not have caused this problem, providing it was wired correctly.
The front tank fuel level sensor cannot cause this problem.
The rear tank fuel level sensor cannot cause this problem.

So, the original problem must have been that the FSV didn't complete it's cycle and is stuck in mid position. This is usually caused by debris being picked up, more than likely the pickup screen has disintegrated.
Changing the FSV and all the other components, you now have the same problem.
The "NEW" FSV must have picked up some debris and got stuck, or the fuel return line for the rear must be connected to the front return port or both situations, since you say the front gauge don't work and still shows the rear tank.

When switched to the front tank, did the fuel gauge ever show the front tank fuel level?
Your going to have to drop the rear tank and inspect it for debris.

Attachments

• DVC01510.JPG
    DVC01510.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01511.JPG
    DVC01511.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DVC01512.JPG
    DVC01512.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DVC01513.JPG
    DVC01513.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01514.JPG
    DVC01514.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is some rust in the back tank because i can see it in the clear filter that i have before the fuel pump. It never showed the front tank that i could tell.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i combined both switches sense one had a bad motor and the other i couldnt even get it to switch to the front tank even when moving it by hand. thank you for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online