front sending unit Anyone have a spare?

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Guys, my 92 F350 front tank has a bad sending unit, the tubes are rusted beyond repair. I've checked parts yards and they are as bad as mine here in the rust belt. Anyone have a spare on the shelf they'd be willing to sell.

thanks
jim

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the tube on mine a year or so ago. Melt the old solder with a propane torch, hit the solder joint with compressed air to blow the old stuff out while it is still liquid. Then I soldered in a piece of steel line w=that I bent a 90 deg bend in and formed it to reach the bottom of the tank, eliminating the shower head. A little acid core solder holds it all together, I imagine JB weld would work.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I might have one in my stash, itll take me a day or two to dig thru everything. The only thing is its coming off an 89 body... Don't know if there the same

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its really easy to replace the 3/8 supply and the 5/16 return line if the body of the sender is ok. As posted above just a propane torch and some soldier is all you need besides the tubing. And that can be copper so it wont rust again ir even stainless so it will never rot off again. Mcmaster carr or grainger sells both copper and stainless tubing.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I tried using silver solder with Mapp gas but couldn't get it to stick, I ground it clean. Then I was getting it so hot it was melting the electrical connector. I could try solder maybe it would take less heat, I just wan't sure that would be strong enough.

jim

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah that silver solder is some tuff stuff. If it's a higher silver content, it takes a lot of heat.
I went through that pain when rebuilding my starter.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acid core solder for this kinda stuff and copper rad repairs, rosin core for electrical is what I was taught.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online