Front end needs some TLC

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
I know this is a old post but just wondering what ever came of this because I am having the same issues with my truck. It pulls to the right then releases and pulls to the left and then jerks and pulls back to the right. Then when you turn right it pulls to the left while turning right then halfway through the turn it'll get back to the right really hard and so on and so forth. And it doesn't do it all the time one day I won't have any problems the next day it will have all kinds of problems then the next day it's fine again. I can find anything out on this at all. Help please!!!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year truck? It sounds like a bad steering box to me. Try a rebuilt one.

Dave

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a ford truck with more than 100k that didn't have loose steering to some degree. I replaced the tie rods, ball joints ect... on my 93 f-250 and it helped a little. I know it could use a new steering box and rag joint but for now I'm just going to live with it, since it's not eating tires or anything. i had an 83 bronco that was bought new by my dad and it had loose steering within 50k.

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
I don't mind the loose steering but this jerks really hard to one way or the other. It is getting bad and hard to drive safely.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced all joints, rods, sway bar links, brake components, steering stabilizer, trailing arms and pivot bushings coils, shocks, $130 alignment, made sure all steering connectors are tight, and the steering is still loose to me and pulls slightly to the left. I think its just how these trucks are.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the loose steering but this jerks really hard to one way or the other. It is getting bad and hard to drive safely.

Could it be something with the carrier in your front differential? Whens the last time you drained oil over a magnet in it? Are your hubs locked in if it has them?

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by draining oil over a magnet. But yes it does have lock outs and I did put it in 4 wheel drive and drove a few and it seamed to stop for a few but then a few days later it came back. Tried to do it again but it did not help this last time.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnets find the pieces that plugs don't catch. I found piece of a bearing cage in the transfer case of the deuce and a half I had doing this. Replaced it before it locked up.

Could you unlock hubs and see if there is a difference? I mean do you drive with the hubs locked in? The sudden jerk in left or right doesn't sound right, unless your talking about when you steer slightly and it all of a sudden stars easily that direction. My suburban does that and its a valve in the ps box going box going

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the knuckle U-Joints.... I've known more than one person that have had the same symptoms, and new U-Joints fixed. One guy go so fed up, he nearly sold his truck...... took a year of "fixing it" to find the actual bad parts.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger