front cap swap

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who here has taken a newer model (89) front cap and put it on a older model (85) truck. will the 89 bolt up on the 85 frame without having to do a lot of fabricating?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this much; I have an 87 and I want to update it to 93-97 look. In my case it's a direct bolt on and I would not even have to change the radiator support.
Now in your case from what I was told 86-down the holes for the front fenders in the door hinge area are different than 87-97. Apparently the slotted holes are the opposite way but can be modified to fit.
If your going to go through the trouble I would use 93-97 parts to make even newer looking. (unless you like the 87-92 look)

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the 93 and up look, but for the deal the guy is giving me on the whole entire truck i cant go wrong. hes letting me have it for $300.00 dollars, and my whole front cap on the 85 is in pretty bad shape. with the 89 cap it is in so good of shape that all i have to do is prep it for paint and go on about my business. the only thing is its a gas burner, and im not to sure if the radiator support will work. and also i was told that the whole dash could be swapped out, and that would be a good thing.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the 93 and up look, but for the deal the guy is giving me on the whole entire truck i cant go wrong. hes letting me have it for $300.00 dollars, and my whole front cap on the 85 is in pretty bad shape. with the 89 cap it is in so good of shape that all i have to do is prep it for paint and go on about my business. the only thing is its a gas burner, and im not to sure if the radiator support will work. and also i was told that the whole dash could be swapped out, and that would be a good thing.

Heck, how's the hole cab? The core supports are different but you may be able to use your original one.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this much; I have an 87 and I want to update it to 93-97 look. In my case it's a direct bolt on and I would not even have to change the radiator support.
Now in your case from what I was told 86-down the holes for the front fenders in the door hinge area are different than 87-97. Apparently the slotted holes are the opposite way but can be modified to fit.
If your going to go through the trouble I would use 93-97 parts to make even newer looking. (unless you like the 87-92 look)

You better double check the. It's a bolt on but the core supports are different.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who here has taken a newer model (89) front cap and put it on a older model (85) truck. will the 89 bolt up on the 85 frame without having to do a lot of fabricating?

Should bolt right on if you use an entire clip including the core support. Agnem did the oposite when he built the Moosestange, may want to check with him.

One thing that is different on the 80 - 86 vs the 87 - 91 bodystyles is the shape of the fenderwells, your front fenderwells wont match the fenderwell shape on the bed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well from all the research and interchange I have researched on this guys....and believe me....I have checked rechecked and then double checked that......

All clips will interchange...if you use the correct Rad support for the year of clip...

Now 87-91 and 91-97 all use same inner fenders, though there is some type of small difference from GAS to Diesel....not enough to worry about though. The key is the dual battery setup and the rad overflow/washer bottle from what I can determine.

Having checked the 87-91 Bronco clip compared to a 92-97 diesel in the parts interchange at work...YES you need the complete clip (Sheet metal only)

I considered going backwards for more tire clearance with the OBS fenders and again its a complete swap this time with inner fenders as far as parts interchange manuals go.

My boss and a good friend at a different wrecker have worked with me for some time on this and pretty much thats as clear as we can get the info.

I have physically compared Gasser to Diesel inner panels and see very little to no difference what so ever. Not enough of difference to cause problems...small holes for mounting harness and other small parts are about all we can see.

Hope this helps out.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the most part what you are wanting to do is a bolt-up except for a couple of small areas. the bolts you access to in the middle of the fender and the mounting tabs at the bottom is different between the two generations. good news is that's all you have to worry about. mounting up a 92-97 front clip onto a older frame will require some creativity for the bumper mount. that is different. here's a couple of pics. the first two is a '87 wearing a older clip and the second is a '86 wearing a newer clip.
word to the wise....if you like keeping your life uncomplicated, don't mix and match sheetmetal from one generation to the next. Can it be done? yes. Is there going to be alot of unnecessary fitting of nuts/bolts/screws? yup.

Attachments

• 09-09-07_1640.jpg
    09-09-07_1640.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 4
  • 07-08-07_1400.jpg
    07-08-07_1400.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 16-12-06_1657.jpg
    16-12-06_1657.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 4

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everybody for the info. i got the truck home today and was looking it over, there are alot of things that im going to change out. i wonder how hard it would be to put the doors with electric window& locks in the 85, as for as wiring goes. and i wonder if the steering colmn would work in the 85. man i cant wait to tear into this thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828