Friend's truck is down...

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe her truck is a 92 or 94 idi NA crew cab 4x4 automatic.

Was towing a trailer when it started puking tranny fluid. Fluid was said to be coming from the starter out of the bell housing. From my reading, it seems like there is a tendency for the front seals in the automatics to leak when hot? Any other common issues that might show this symptom? I assume the transmission must be dropped to replace the seal, and perhaps an aftermarket cooler added to the system? If the transmission must be dropped, what else should be addressed/checked while its out? There is a good likelihood that i will be driving up(3hrs away) to do the work at her farm. aside from the usual wrenches, sockets and impacts what else would you suggest i have on hand? might go look at a tranny jack at harbor freight....

thanks

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Replace the front seal with a Viton replacement seal. Not a Ford gray seal. You can get this at any good auto parts store.

The factory gray seal expands then blows out causing it to leak. Usually when the transmission cool off, the seal will return to its original shape.

As LCAM- said in his post use a good jack. The E4OD is almost 300 lbs. It will do some harm when it goes thud. :eek:

A cooler is the best thing for this transmission. Look for a good stacked plate unit. TruCool is what Ford uses on their current line up and is really good.:Thumbs Up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this is good stuff to know, I'll maybe be tackling the front seal on wifes F150 E4OD and I'll be ADDING a cooler it has none.

I too say TRANSMISSION jack is a MUST!!! these are beastly and need a proper jack.

DON"T use those silly saddle replacement heads for a floor jack, they suck have very little control for a beast this size.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An E4OD trans weighs nerly 300 lbs plus you need at least 30 inches of clearance to get the trans and the jack out from under the truck.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yep, glad I invested in the trans jack from HF, though I only use it to support and stabilize that beastly E4OD when my engine comes out. (4th time coming up soon. Bad exhaust valve chuffing) :frustrate

Slightly heavier than that TurboHydraMatic 200 I remember wrestling about 35 years ago....... LOL