Friends call him SNOW MISER

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm proclaiming of Doug Bensen anyway. He's the man! Took the Moosestang over to his place and I watched the master skillfully recharge my air conditioning system which probably hasn't worked in that truck in over 5 years. I learned quite a bit about AC in the process too. As an added bonus, I even got the red and silver stripe on the fenders that I was missing, thanks to his just happening to have a whole spool of the stuff! All hail the Snow Miser! Now all I got to do is interface the gas engine tach to the diesel and eveything will be working in the Moosestang 100%. :thumbsup:

:hail S M
:hail .N I
:hail ..O S
:hail ...W E
:hail ........R

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
You and your little projects. What you need is an unending project that consumes huge time and money resources.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel,
I appreciate your kind words. It's nice to be able to give back. Katelyn had a blast hanging with your family while we busy outside. All the kids are really growing up. The Jimmy Cone was the perfect ending to a great day. Keep smiling and stay cool. Talk to you soon, Doug

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well Having met Doug once and talking to him a couple times -You could not find a nicer guy to spend some time with.
Our plans for our future include some wandering in a camper (trying to decide which best suites us A motor home or a campeing trailer-Problem is if we go our camper what do we do wiyh the old IDI (it has only been driven 500 miles or so in the last year)? And Doug is on our list of people we would love to see again,and as well many of the members we have never met would be so cool to drop in on.
Now we just hope our dreams can become a reality.
Mr Bill

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
:thumbsup: ,.;.Pun Intended The R12 stuff works better than the R134 Hope he got it all sealed up for you as well.

Late time I cheked my truck the AC was blowing out at 38 deg ;Sweet

MRBILL, Feel free to come up to MI when you get a chance!

Later,
Darrin

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Doug Benson,

is there any special tricks you use to charge up the AC, i have tried to recharge mine, but it never gets cold, stays moderately cooler than outside, but i still find myself getting hot in the cab, i feel that a standard cab should be really cold and i should have to back off the AC after a short while, i could run my AC on max all day and it still not be cold. I hooked up a meter to my low side line where i charged it up and its reading about 55psi, the condenser and lines are moist from the sweat because of running, but still the air on the inside is moderately warm. do you have any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You may have a plugged up orfice tube. An AC shop can remove the charge and replace the orfice tube and then return your charge. They will check it for being contaminated before they evacuate the system. I do all my R12 vacuum and charge work. I have a license to buy R12. The easiest way to make a vacuum upm is find a water cooler or broken refergirator. Remove the compressor and soldier on the shrader valve stems off any tire vlave stem and get a set of gages off Ebay for around $30.00 all day long. Its that easy. The 55 lbs is what you need for a cool feeling in the truck. Maybe what you have going on is the heater doors are not closing off completely. This will make the cooling feel hotter than it should. The hot coolant is always going thru the heater cores unless you install a cutoff valve. Some have. To get an AC license just go to the web and look up IMACA Educationa Foundation. They are in Fortworth Texas. Phone is 817-732-4600 and their website is www.imaca.org They gave me the section 609 Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 certification. Works for me and I'm a buyer of 1 lb cans on Ebay whenever I need them. Our trucks require 4 cans of the 12 oz one lb cans.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Doug Benson,

is there any special tricks you use to charge up the AC, i have tried to recharge mine, but it never gets cold, stays moderately cooler than outside, but i still find myself getting hot in the cab, i feel that a standard cab should be really cold and i should have to back off the AC after a short while, i could run my AC on max all day and it still not be cold. I hooked up a meter to my low side line where i charged it up and its reading about 55psi, the condenser and lines are moist from the sweat because of running, but still the air on the inside is moderately warm. do you have any ideas?

Do some searching around the site for the heater valve mod . The factory setup keeps hot water running through the heater core all the time, adding that nifty little shut off valve that cuts it with vacuum when the ac is on max really helps.

--------Robert

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
i just got done the heater valve mod last nite, although i dont have the vacuum part of it, mine is just manual valves, anyway, still dont put out too cold of air. tonite i am going to pull the cooler looking thing out of the box under the hood and wash it out good, it looked dirty when i pulled the fan out to see if i had junk built up in there. i will let you all know how it goes

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i just got done the heater valve mod last nite, although i dont have the vacuum part of it, mine is just manual valves, anyway, still dont put out too cold of air. tonite i am going to pull the cooler looking thing out of the box under the hood and wash it out good, it looked dirty when i pulled the fan out to see if i had junk built up in there. i will let you all know how it goes

even if you've already hosed/blown it out, take your grill off and spend an hour or two with a tiny pick tool and a flat screwdriver digging all the little tiny rocks and bug guts out of the condensor and straighten the fins. I regularly see the things as much as 80% blocked from small debris , even when they've been regularly hosed or blown out. It makes a big difference.

also, make sure your fan clutch is working properly

If it's really hot where you are, might consider a small electric pusher fan rigged to come on with the AC. I know mine could use one. These things don't produce a lot of waste heat at idle/low speed traffic and , at least on mine, the fan clutch rarely kicks on in traffic, so the ac is only getting the passive pull from the fan with the clutch disengaged. The ac works much better at speed.
---------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online