Friend's 94, psd or IDI?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
They all have the big spin on filter on the bottom drivers side, you need to look for the oil fill cap.
If it is in the front middle of the engine like your 88 has, it is a idi, if it is on the valve cover it is a power stroke.
Dragrag..... If it is an auto trans truck, then it must be an idi, no psd auto's for 94'. If it is a 5 speed, it could be a powerstroke depending on year of production.

Actually my buddy's 94 dually psd was produced in jan of 94 and it has a e4od from the factory.

The 94 diesels with a turbo idi or psd say turbo diesel, it is a 94 only deal so badges wont help decipher the engine.

I know of 2 94 psd's that have turbo diesel badges and 2 idi's that have the turbo diesel badges.
Just my 0.2 cents worth just trying to correct our knowledge

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the oil fill cap.

Powerstroke: On the valve cover.

IDI: On the timing cover in the center.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the oil fill cap.

Powerstroke: On the valve cover.

IDI: On the timing cover in the center.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All power stroke engines came with a turbo. They did not come with intercoolers till later on. an idi can use a power stroke oil filter and a ps can use an idi oil filter. All power strokes have the injection lines built into the heads and under the valve covers. You never see them till something goes wrong and you dig in... The ps engines have a special valve cover gasket with an area where all the electrical goes under them. Its not the best idea but it works till it doesn't. The ps injectors are powered by 110 volts of power so be careful working under the valve covers looking for issues. The fuel system in the heads has a minum of 20,000 lbs of pressure on it and a stock max of around 35,000 lb... The high po injectors called stage 5 are way up there on pressure. I think its around 50,000 lbs but not really sure. I'm told those injectors are going to cost you around $800.00 each.....:rotflmao We cn buy 4 sets of BB codes for that price.....:D:sly

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I'm told those injectors are going to cost you around $800.00 each.....:rotflmao We cn buy 4 sets of BB codes for that price.....:D:sly

And if you are building a PSD that will run those stage 5s effectively, that will be the least of your expenses! :rotflmao

Realistically, I've seen stock sticks for early PSDs going for around $100. Just putting that out there. ;Really

johneich, have you figured out what it is yet?!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Actually my buddy's 94 dually psd was produced in jan of 94 and it has a e4od from the factory.

Just my 0.2 cents worth just trying to correct our knowledge

That is a first. Never seen or heard of a 94 PSD w a auto.

The reason behind it was the 94 computers were not "Smart" enough to run the engine and trans, that is why ALL 94 powerstrokes got 5 spd

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
i was told early psd had 5 speeds because the auto couldnrt handle the power of the psd
also if the 8th didgt of the vin is a f its a psd

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The filter in question is a FUEL filter, which is on top of the engine.

The IDI has a spin on metal filter. A injector pump. Exposed fuel lines. A passenger side alternator, mounted low. OIL fill is in the timing cover

the Powerstroke has a cartridge fuel filter, NO injector pump, NO exposed fuel lines, And the alt sits right on top, of the passenger side. oil fill in in the passenger side valve cover

Easiest way to tell is the 8th digit in the vin number

powerstroke is vin "F"
Turboed IDI is vin"K"
Naturally asperated is vin "M"

Don't use alternator position to try and determine which engine you have, serpentine belt IDIs have the alternator high on the passenger side just like a stroke.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you know build date you cant use tranny issue the 94 psd auto mentioned was a late build date problly sold early due to limited stock etc.
but all i can tell you is look for lots of plastic crap thats not part of the intake the psd fuel filter has a plastic head right on top of the motor its got a plastic motor cover and a bunch of other plastic crap
or simply go the easy way and ask him he should know he bought it

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this is getting way out of hand. The original poster (who owns an IDI) has over 200 posts and he cant tell a PS from an IDI. What is the world coming to!:dunno

There are too many differences to list, They look nothing alike. It is as easy as popping the hood. Done deal, Problem solved, Easy as pie, Piece of cake.