Friend's 94, psd or IDI?

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Been looking at my friends 94, says turbo diesel on tailgate and fender sides, I looked at top of engine and crawled under it, does not look like my 83 at all, it does not say powerstroke anywhere on it (underhood or on the outside), is it a psd or IDI?, does the collective need to know more to identify this?

DragRag

Reaction score
Three engine available for 94' N/A, turbo diesel and powerstroke. If it is an auto trans truck, then it must be an idi, no psd auto's for 94'. If it is a 5 speed, it could be a powerstroke depending on year of production. If it has a spin on fuel filter it is an idi, if it is a cartridge style it is a psd. That info should get you there.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
does it look like this 1995 powerstroke?

You must be registered for see images attach

or like this idi

You must be registered for see images attach

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
if you can see injector lines and the pump its a idi! power strokes dont have pumps or exposed injector lines! and 94 PS's only came with 5speed. if its auto its not a powerstroke

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Gen, IIRC, 94 was 1/2 year factory IDI turbo and 1/2 year PSD

Right, but the PS didn't have the option for a turbo until the next year, correct? I'm not that up on them, so I could be off.

Also, for the valve covers, the PS has the injectors running through the covers.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Three engine available for 94' N/A, turbo diesel and powerstroke. If it is an auto trans truck, then it must be an idi, no psd auto's for 94'. If it is a 5 speed, it could be a powerstroke depending on year of production. If it has a spin on fuel filter it is an idi, if it is a cartridge style it is a psd. That info should get you there.

Its a stick, not sure if its a 5 or 4 speed, it has a big spin on filter like a psd, but both fit our eigines??? so it could have been retrofitted???, it has a factory turbo

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
88'89'90'91'92 and on up all had 5speeds! 4speeds ended in 87. and powerstrokes have always had turbos

Last edited:

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Every powerstroke ever made was a turbo. The early powerstrokes had a cover on them that said direct injection or something like that. Most likely if it just says "turbo diesel", it's a factory turbo mechanical idi.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
it has a big spin on filter like a psd, but both fit our eigines??? so it could have been retrofitted???, it has a factory turbo

The filter in question is a FUEL filter, which is on top of the engine.

The IDI has a spin on metal filter. A injector pump. Exposed fuel lines. A passenger side alternator, mounted low. OIL fill is in the timing cover

the Powerstroke has a cartridge fuel filter, NO injector pump, NO exposed fuel lines, And the alt sits right on top, of the passenger side. oil fill in in the passenger side valve cover

Easiest way to tell is the 8th digit in the vin number

powerstroke is vin "F"
Turboed IDI is vin"K"
Naturally asperated is vin "M"