Freshen up

dg9373

Reaction score
Hello, I am fairly new to the site, however I have had a few idi's in the past. I currently have a 1993 F350 cc srw 4x4 zf5 w/ an aftermarket ATS turbo. The truck was a non turbo truck from the factory and the turbo was installed by the previous owner. The truck has 195,00 on it and I want to get it ready for the upcoming MN winter. Here is what I want to do: I want to put a fuel return line kit on, all new glow plugs, with manual switch, and possibly new injectors. Everything on the fuel system is still painted grey, so I imagine it is all original. From what I read I should be looking for Beru or Motorcraft glow plugs, and I can get a return line kit from a couple guys on here. Are any of the glow plugs better than the others when going with the manual switch? Can anybody tell me what I should be looking at for Injectors, I have heard a few different things in the past regarding the factory turbo injectors on non factory turbo motor. I plan on getting a boost guage and pyro in the near future and possibly turning the pump up. Any advice on this stuff and where I can get a reasonable deal on these parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Like you said, only get Beru of Motorcraft glow plugs...as they are what came stock. Other aftermarket ones are known to swell up and break off in the head, or coming off in the combustion chamber....which is no good....

All the things you want to do are fairly easy.

For injectors, I would look at BB code injectors, I'm happier with them ;Sweet.

Which turbo kit do you have? What is the shape of the intake box? There are a couple of different ATS turbo's. Once you get those gauges, you should be good to go as far as turning it up ;Sweet

dg9373

Reaction score
Not sure which turbo it is, but the intake box is the same as on the factory turbo as the air filter is the same.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ok then ;Sweet, does the box say "Ford" on the cover, or does it say "ATS Turbo"?

The factory turbo has a restrictive exhuast housing and down pipe. The other turbo has the good exhaust housing and good (not flattened, but round) downpipe.

dg9373

Reaction score
No, No, it is definitely an aftermarket turbo, it has the ATS housing and the 3" downpipe. It has pretty good power for a truck of its size, but it starts hard and idles rough for a little while. I can see that the return lines are leaking a little bit all over the place and I want to replace the injectors as they are obviously the stock injectors from 195K ago. The BB injectors that you speak of, how do they differ from stock NA injectors?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
BB injectors are the stock N/A injectors. Its been discussed around here a lot, but a good majority of the people have accepted that the G code (the injectors that came in the factory turbo trucks) were designed with emmision in mind, not power. We all know emmision items suck big time, so the BB code injectors will perform good ;Sweet.

Sounds like the rough start is because of the return lines like you think, your definatly on the right track there ;Sweet

dg9373

Reaction score
That sounds right, I had a 94 with factory turbo in the past and everything I read about here makes sense because that thing was a real pooch, granted it was completely stock with 3:54 rear end. Is there any place better than another to buy these injectors?? What about the BERU glow plugs??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Beru glow plugs are the stock ones, and they are about as good as you can get. Other glowplugs you can get, like Autolites from Autozone, or known to swell up and break off in the head....which is not good at all.

Russ sells injectors, though tere are a lot of places to get them. He also sells the return kit, so you can bundle it up. His screen name is typ4 if you want to send him a pm about them.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For injectors i would say talk to Russ, he will probably give you the best price and you can be sure your getting good matched injectors. On the glowplugs, Beru was the manufacture ford had create their glowplugs. so motorcraft ZD1As or ZD9s are beru and top notch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes