Found my rattle-New ujoints for D50

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to track down a rattle in the front end some where for the last few months. Got home today, and slid under the cab again. I finally noticed that one of the u-joints on the front of the front drive shaft is loose as a goose. It acts like it doesn't even have any bearings in it. This is on the drive shaft that goes from the diff to the third member. I'm surprised that when I had a new center chunk put in, the mechanic didn't mention it. Maybe it wasn't near as bad back then (February), or maybe he was so worn out at the time, he lost track and forgot to mention it. I'm surprised that one would go bad on the front, but then again, everything on the front end has gone bad because the PO drove it down a flooded sandy road several times without ever cleaning things out afterward.

Anyway, it doesn't look to hard to change. Anything special I should know? I've changed them on my 94 2wd F150 multiple times. This looks to be about the same. Remove 8 bolts, pull the drive shaft, and do the rest on the work bench just like any other u-joint. Sound about right?

Also, is there any particular brand that I should try to get?

Thanks,
Mark