Found a ZF5, got some ?s and need quick answers

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a zf5 on craigslist tonite, it from an 89 f250 diesel 120k that was in a wreck, it has a cracked bellhousing from a wreck that it was in. I had about a 4in crack, but it expanded when the guy pulled the motor

Question is can i take it to a weld shop and have the bellhousing welded back up, also im not sure what the case is made out of, i know its not cast or steel, but is it aluminium or something else like magnesium?

The guy said 50 bucks for the trans, shifters, and the clutch setup, should I make the 320 mile round trip drive to get it or is the trans junk cuz its cracked? Worst case is id be out $50 bucks plus my time and fuel to get it, the only time have have to go get it is tomorrow morning so quick replys would be awesome;Sweet

thanks all

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It can be welded if you can find someone really good with aluminum. I've had a couple done and they never had a problem.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needs to be a really good aluminum welder. Maybe a guy who can cut a soda can in half and weld it back together water tight good. Lots of experience. That may be absurd its what people said on an outboard engine forum about finding a welder who was qualified to repair a cracked OB aluminum block, seems this requires a similar skill level. Since the bell and tranny are cast as one piece he'll have to find the end of the crack and use an appropriate technique to stop it there and make it tight enough to hold fluid.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really not that hard to fix a crack in alum. the best way to repair it is to clean it very well, find both sides of the crack and drill a hole on each end of the crack. a drill bit twice the size of the crack will do. then v out the crack and "TIG" weld it and your done. just remember to use a stainless steel brush to clean alum. never use a reg. steel brush. i have never tried to weld a pop can and prob never will, but i have fixed a few bellhousings and transfer case cracks and havent had any problems out of them.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, the i had a pro weld up my traction bars and steering, so im sure it would n no prob for him, just wanted to konw ifit couldb done

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Maybe a guy who can cut a soda can in half and weld it back together water tight good.

That's what our guy down in Gilroy did. He took 7up and Coke cans, cut them in half and welded them into one can. Takes a lot of skill to not blow holes in it.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring it to Delphos OH, I know a welder that can weld the aluminum cig. pack together, now that takes some skill. Not all welders can weld aluminum. If it can't be welded go here for parts http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...transmission_overhaul_kit.html#zftransmission the case is only $1020, but I wouldn't want to rebuild it, one hell'va job. For $50 buc's tho how can you go wrong. If you could mount it to a motor then weld it so all the bolts and dowels line up after welding would be great. Since the crack opened up the holes prolly won't line up after welding. something to consider.

bushpig7

Reaction score
I had to pull the tranny out of our GM diesel one ton dump at work because the aluminum bell housing was broken in half. we sent the housing to a shop to be welded
when it came back we ground the tight spots out with a die grinder and bolted it back up. this truck is overloaded a lot since we use it for sanding in the winter. 4 months later it is still going strong despite the constant abuse.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 50 bucks it is worth it for internals, I have welded up several and they have no issues and I am not really that good with aluminum. Also if the crack is near the starter area have a plate put on the outside to reinforce. The only way they crack is when the bolts get loose. Or a wreck of course.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here it is, my 50 dollar ZF5, its got two of the bolt holes still attached, idk if it can be welded but maybee, i also got the shifters, boots, flywheels and clutch setup and all the bolts
You must be registered for see images attach

What ya think, ive got to call the welder and see when he can get me in...

On a side note my mustang got 23mpg going to get it, cost me bout 30 bucks to get it:D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
That's a big piece! The best way to do it with it like that would be to bolt it to a block that has the crank in it, so the input shaft is centered. It may take some reinforcing as well. Good score though!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bolting it to the cast plate off the block with dowels will do fine ,Thats how I have done it. Definately get some plate to reinforce it.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Just bolting it to the cast plate off the block with dowels will do fine ,Thats how I have done it. Definately get some plate to reinforce it.

I figured with the amount of force required to take that big of a piece off, that there may be some distortion in it now. I'd be pissed if, after all the welding, the input didn't line up. :dunno

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what the guy told me it was only a 4in crack where the hole is, then when he was pullin it the alignment pins kept it together and he yanked on it and it split...

Friday after work im gonna take it up to the welder and see what he can do, then saturday instead of the bogs im gonna put it in, if it works great, if not I guess ive got lots of parts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online