Found a 6.9, hasnt run in 12 yrs

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Yup, found a mid 80s F-350 box truck with a 6.9. talked to the owner and he said make an offer, SO...i was thinkin $500. it wasnt registered in 12 yrs and the owner hasnt used it since he bought the busniness in 12 yrs.

what should i look at? milage is unknown as the cluster is gone when someone bought the tranny and parts from it. its been in the truck so there is no worry bout it being in the open w/o cover.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Consider the thing nothing but a core at best , but after 12 years, most likely a rusted through useless trot line sinker. Hows the catfishin' round there?

I wouldn't give any more than scrap value for it.

suv7734

Reaction score
Be very careful. This is a thread from not long ago about water getting in past the air cleaner seal.
Throw a big bar on the front of the engine and crank it over through a couple of revolutions. As mentioned above it is not really worth more than scrap.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
assume it is bad until proven otherwise, it might live but i am with the other guys here.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway you can start it and see if its any good before you put down the bucks? That said, core for a reman 6.9 is usually 400-600 and you could get a few bucks out of it in scrap if need be 900-1100 pounds of cast iron.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i still didnt call the owner back as im undecided what to do. im gunna say there is no way to start is as the fuel tank and parts are gone as well.

ill just pass on this, esp. after reading the whole cowl seal thread.

sootman73

Reaction score
and just an FYI i saw scrap was $280 a ton now! with a 900-1100# motor thats about $125-155. i think its worth the time to pull it anyway. the truck could be a good source of 1 ton parts too. whatever you dont use you can scrap or part out to others. it just depends on what price he is willing to take. i wouldn't give him anything over scrap price which is lower than what i said since vehicles usually go for lower just because of mixed metals and plastics. call a salvage yard to see what they would give you for a vehicle(or what the price deductions are)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget what it will cost to have the truck towed.... I wouldn't put much faith in "anything" being good after the truck has set for 12 years. Most likely the brakes will be rusted solid and the wheels won't even turn. I've seen this happen on vehicles that set only a few years.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah, would be a good core. From what I've began to see, these motors don't like to set for long periods of time without being ran.

I got a 6.9L on a trade deal that had less than 30k on an IH rebuild.
It sat for at least 5 years and it now burns oil worse than anything else I've ever owned and the IP has a sticky metering vale that heavy doses of cleaners are not helping ungunk.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, check the oil & coolant then pull the glowplugs before you try to bar it over. May just need some loose juice in it.

Rick