Ford Van 2 wheel abs spongy pedal question

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, just curious if any forum members cleared a spongy brake pedal by bleeding abs hydraulic valve first . . . My understanding is if fluid drops too low, air gets in valve and voila, spongy pedal! I am always amazed when a pro does not test for the basics first before advising expensive work . . . I have been rewarded too many times in the wrenching game by doing my research first. Any firsthand experiences here? Anyone know who makes the two wheel abs unit for Ford back in '94 and a bleed sequence for this valve setup? Thanks!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears that the abs hydraulic unit (2 wheel abs) is defective. I had my indie bleed abs unit and system with no success. He says the adjusters in the rear were operable but they removed, cleaned and re lubed anyway. Stay tuned - it will be nice to have full pedal pressure again -

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, dang, warmblood. Sorry to hear that. I saw that RockAuto has the remanned units. Will be giving the whole hydraulic system a closer look when I tackle the brakes...

After the heads, etc....

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, thanks! Generally I do all my own work but had it at the shop for the new trans swap and thought I would have the indie (with a good rep) check for air by abs bleed/brake bleed. Had it been home with me, I just would have done it . . . . the history of the van is relatively unknown so I have to assume PO was an idiot and did not bleed correctly or other . . . When I work on my own cars, I take my time and do other things while in there that an indie cannot afford to do . . . I get so pissed off typically when I trace their work and see broken connections, missing bolts etc. . . . as a friend of mine says, you cannot pay people enough money these days to do a good job so you have to do it yourself!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I get so pissed off typically when I trace their work and see broken connections, missing bolts etc. . . . as a friend of mine says, you cannot pay people enough money these days to do a good job so you have to do it yourself!

Right you are, warmblood. Da Mrs. always asks how much would it be to have a pro do it? I always say: "Thousands." LOL

BTW, guys: am I correct that this unit also acts as the "proportioning valve?" :confused: