ford f350 diesel coolant spec?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Looking for coolant for my 1990 f350 diesel and cant figure out the specifications in the manual weather it's stnadard you have to mix or if its the extended life :)

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use the prestone extended life it has the sca's you need and you dont have to worry about it.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT use the yellow container prestone, it SAYS all light duty trucks but its not ment for diesels, ran across this information before just throwing fleetguard in my bronco. it was cheaper then the proper prestone.

http://prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list

follow that link, it MAY ask you for your area (us english) scroll down to the black ones. one is normal heavy duty and the next is xlife Heavy duty, those are the ones you want!!! they have the SCAs, the yellow jubs do not. I assume you know this, but just wanted to throw it out there. Just in case you didnt. And incase someone runs across this thread in the future and think *o hey i can just throw some prestone in it* and end up not getting the protection they need.

And of course, at some point many miles down the road... you may need to add the SCAs as your levels get lower over time!

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the cat ELC it has sca in it. It is good for five years -- then flush and refill again -- good for another five

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not use any ELC antifreeze that is based on OAT (organic acid technology). This has not been proven in our trucks, and may cause you problems with incompatable metals and gasket materials. These trucks were designed for green low or no silicate conventional antifreeze. That stuff is getting hard to find, so the most compatable replacement is the pink SCA (DCA-2) precharged coolants such as Fleetcharge from Tractor Supply. That stuff is essentially green low silicate coolant, that has had it's color changed to pink to indicate the presence of the DCA-2 SCA.

In my opionion, extended life coolants are over-rated. They are viewed as a "oh gee, I don't have to mess with my cooling system for 50,000 miles or 5 years" but in reality you need an excuse to look at your hoses, pump, and SCA's at least every 6 months.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I looked for xlife collant couldn't find it. Is the black Heav duty prestone coolant good for our trucks? Is it green low silicate?

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long life coolants didn't come out until 1996. Ford didn't start using a long life coolant until 2001 or so. Long life coolants do not have the correct chemistry for our trucks. You want a conventional green coolant with sca's

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
My .02's worth, if anyone goes and buys the conventional green coolant with no sca's you can add the sca's buy purchasing separetly from any heavy truck parts supplier such as Fleetpride, or any heavy truck dealer but you need the test strips to check for the proper sca's to coolant levels. Penray is one company that sells sca;s in a pint or gallon container, also some coolant filters already have sca's in them or you can buy what is called a need release sca coolant filter that will add the proper amount of sca's when needed, but the sca's need to be checked peroidocally no matter what anyone does.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I needed it, I found the classic green coolant in a black bottle with big letters LOW SILICATE on the bottle, at Carquest. My understanding is that it is the same as the old Texaco green stuff which I always used until it disappeared. Need to add your own SCAs, but I like to do the strip check in any case. I think this is one area where we should not take any short cuts!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I needed it, I found the classic green coolant in a black bottle with big letters LOW SILICATE on the bottle, at Carquest. My understanding is that it is the same as the old Texaco green stuff which I always used until it disappeared. Need to add your own SCAs, but I like to do the strip check in any case. I think this is one area where we should not take any short cuts!

I believe the Texaco coolant is now Havoline brand. The only place I can regularly find a "low silicate" coolant (Havoline brand) is, believe it or not, WinCo Foods. I drive for them and they regularly stock it for about $12 a gallon (concentrated). WinCo has stores in Washington, Oregon, Calif., Nevada, Idaho, Utah, and Arizona at this point.

I will check out Carquest though. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online