Flywheel has stripped holes

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
im against helicoils in this case because sideloading is not the helicoil strong suit.

all things being equal its a tossup, because even with a helicoil youre still redrilling and retapping, just have to use their setup

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it right or don't do it at all.im not a fan of heli coils.replace the flywheel or drill and tap it.ive seen heli coils get ripped out, do you really want to wonder if they're gonna hold when youre sitting on a hill with 10,000 pounds behind you?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen helicoil testing and we even performed some in the machine shop. They will outlast the original threads in tensile strength...ALWAYS! Drill them larger if you want, but a Helicoil will work and is stronger than the hole you'll be drilling and tapping. I've installed more than I care to remember (read 100's, maybe even thousands) and NEVER had one let go, but to each his own. We've used them in cast iron, aluminum, etc. and they flat work if installed correctly. My guess is that if someone had one fail, it was an installation error.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen helicoil testing and we even performed some in the machine shop. They will outlast the original threads in tensile strength...ALWAYS! Drill them larger if you want, but a Helicoil will work and is stronger than the hole you'll be drilling and tapping. I've installed more than I care to remember (read 100's, maybe even thousands) and NEVER had one let go, but to each his own. We've used them in cast iron, aluminum, etc. and they flat work if installed correctly. My guess is that if someone had one fail, it was an installation error.

There's nothing to mess up.all you do is drill, tap and screw a coiled wire into it.if somebody cant do that right they shouldn't be anywhere near a tool or vehicle.I have 2 of them in my psds timing cover for the hpops studs.everytime I take the pumps off I can feel them pulling out of the aluminum when I put them back on.gonna have to replace the cover..but since the motor has to come out to do it ive been hoping the motor blows before the coils finally pull out.Ive even seen them come out on the triton heads and blow the spark plugs out.don't trust them!

Do it right! Replace the flywheel or drill and tap for the next size up.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess that's the problem then, not trusting them...I've seen grade 8 bolts breaks in tension tests before the coils pull out...I do trust them and like I said, I've installed a few.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
i would also go bigger if you can, but helicoils will work also.

if anyone needs helicoils installed, just ask. i am the master of them now after this past week.

helicoiled EVERY headbolt hole in a 6.5 block with it in the van..... can you say FUN?

OK Corey, I just have to ask......

WHY?

I am sure it was not "for the hell of it"

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have a good diesel machine shop nearby, just take the flywheel in and have them re drill the flywheel in a new pattern ( i.e. rotate the mounting pattern an even amount so the meat is taken off the flywheel in a balanced format ) THis way you can use the proper stock size bolts and next times clutch jobs are done the new pressure plates won't have to be drilled out to accept larger bolts

It's fairly simple, just bring the pressure plate with you so they have a template and all they have to do is rotate and mark and go from there ;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If you have a good diesel machine shop nearby, just take the flywheel in and have them re drill the flywheel in a new pattern ( i.e. rotate the mounting pattern an even amount so the meat is taken off the flywheel in a balanced format ) THis way you can use the proper stock size bolts and next times clutch jobs are done the new pressure plates won't have to be drilled out to accept larger bolts

It's fairly simple, just bring the pressure plate with you so they have a template and all they have to do is rotate and mark and go from there ;Sweet

That would probably be the best route but I dont have any shops around that can do that

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
The block decided to let go of half the threads for the headbolts. After testing them, we said fark it and helicoiled them all

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would probably be the best route but I dont have any shops around that can do that

Got a vocational school near you? The machine shop teacher may be able to help you out if you dont need it asap.plus you would be helping the students and giving back to the community

sassyrel

Reaction score
There's nothing to mess up.all you do is drill, tap and screw a coiled wire into it.if somebody cant do that right they shouldn't be anywhere near a tool or vehicle.I have 2 of them in my psds timing cover for the hpops studs.everytime I take the pumps off I can feel them pulling out of the aluminum when I put them back on.gonna have to replace the cover..but since the motor has to come out to do it ive been hoping the motor blows before the coils finally pull out.Ive even seen them come out on the triton heads and blow the spark plugs out.don't trust them!

Do it right! Replace the flywheel or drill and tap for the next size up.