Flywheel has stripped holes

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I know this isnt in a IDI but same basic idea. This is in my 99 PSD. Went to bolt the clutch to the flywheel tonight and I have 2 stripped out holes.

WHat to do. Drill and heli coil? Drill next size up and tap to 3/8 bolts? Drill out and go with longer bolts and put nuts on the back?

Any suggestions welcome

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You could cut the heads off of full thread bolts and plug weld them from the backside to form studs. I am guessing that future resurfacing is not a concern of yours. Balancing may become an issue.......just brainstorming.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always do what I saw someone do once. Tack weld it to the flywheel where the stripped bolts are.cookoocookoo
But seriously heilicoil would be the best choice as it's least likely to thoough off the balance.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would drill them all and tap with the next size up, at least You can pull it and do it right. This happened to Me on a crank, I did not like it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Outside of replacing the flywheel I would drill out to the next larger size bolt thread but make sure you have enough material for full thread engagement. The heli coil would be next. Then weld a bolt to the back side would be the next thing. And finally I would not add a nut because of the weight balance issue. If you had to add a nut then I would do it on the 180 degree oppsite side of the plate too even if those threads were ok. That way your still very close to the balance you started with. PS.. The bolts are a material better than simple grade 8 home depot grade 8 material. Remember all the spring pressure and heat in this area. If you drill and tap to the next size the pressure plate will need to be drilled out to use the larger bolts. Then the next clutch you install will need the same thing done to it... Please think about the next person that will own this fix too...:sly:angel:

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
drill and tap the next size up. helicoil is just a little too chinsy for flywheel work.

drilling the next pressure plate is no big deal. if the next guy doesnt have a 13/32 bit he had no business replacing a clutch to begin with.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
drill and tap the next size up. helicoil is just a little too chinsy for flywheel work.

drilling the next pressure plate is no big deal. if the next guy doesnt have a 13/32 bit he had no business replacing a clutch to begin with.

Sounds like the best idea to me.;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i would also go bigger if you can, but helicoils will work also.

if anyone needs helicoils installed, just ask. i am the master of them now after this past week.

helicoiled EVERY headbolt hole in a 6.5 block with it in the van..... can you say FUN?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the input guys. I guess that is tomorrows job. I will drill them all out and tap them for 3/8 bolts

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I don't know why people do not like the idea of using helicoils. They are far superior to the parent metal (cast iron) for durability and if properly installed, will last longer than the truck.

Drilling to the next size is a simple sounding idea, but it creates more work for you. You have to drill out the pressure plate to match, and if you are serious about balance, you have to drill and tap all of the mount holes to use the same size screw, not just the one that is stripped. Helicoil is the only sensible answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online