Flying with a injection pump?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang! Long story short! I'm flying to Colorado to pick up my new to me 94 IDI t 4 x 4 then I am driving to Wes's shop to do head studs and some other upgrades. We will install my fresh turbo and baby moose pump and injectors as well. So, I have to pack my baby moose to go in my luggage. How do I get all of the fuel out so that it doesn't leak and cause the TSA to prohibit it??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pumps fit easily in a USPS large priority mail box.
remove the return fitting on the top cover to drain fuel. triple or quadruple bag with asorbent material and you'll be in good shape.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've flown with all manner of weird-looking devices. I used to own a audio-visual show services company and have it flown with some strange stuff. If you allow enough time for an inspection and let them know beforehand it usually goes as smoothly as those things can go. I was more worried about the flammability issue. Perhaps, if it's not cost prohibitive I will just ship it. However, I also need to bring the turbo...

gandalf

Reaction score
If it will fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box you've got it made. Short of carrying it by hand you won't beat he price. One word of caution, though. Pack it well. USPS doesn't know the meaning of the word "gentle".

I've both sent and received IPs by mail with no problem.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insure your pump well if you choose to ship it USPS. I've had 2 packages (priority mail) disappear in the last year.

I've flown with strange auto parts and tools. They got pissy once because my tubing bender was 6.75" inches long, and the maximum length for metal carry-on items is 7". They let me bring it on after 3 minutes of explaining what the Roswell-alien-looking-probe really does.

As for checking your bag, you shouldn't have any problem putting an ip in there. I once checked a pizza oven in a plastic box. I just opened it up, showed the woman at ticketing, and she stuck the sticker on, and away it went on the conveyer. A pizza oven is basically a huge toaster. It has weird electrical wires on it with a literal timer on the side. If anything looks like a bomb, it was that, and no one detained me.

Just open up the top, fuel screw port, and easily let all the fuel drain out for a whole day. Then wrap it in CLEAR plastic, so TSA can easily see what it is. Maybe print the moose IP instructions and conveniently insert them along side the IP, so they get the gist. They WILL inspect the device, so giving them information in your checked bag will make it easier for them to move it along faster.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ship everything you can to Wes... A lot less headahches that way. I used to be a travelling mechanic so hundreds of flights with tools and such. Even checking my tool bags was a pain and they don't have fuel smell or residue. Also almost lost $800 worth of tools cause the baggage guy threw my bag and it came open, watched him from my seat in the plane, guessing tsa opened it to inspect and didn't close it all the way...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to remove the return fitting? Fuel should drain anyway, no?
there is a glass check ball in the center of the fitting keeping things closed up.
you must remove the fitting.
not a big deal to unscrew. a 1/2 cup of fuel will come out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86