Flexplates

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not interchangable. E4OD has the starter gear (Ring Gear) on it and it's much larger diameter. Pic is the C6, don't have one of the E4OD.

Attachments

• flex plate.jpg
    flex plate.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 64

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is not exactly true. Here is whats going on. If you have an E4OD trans you sometimes will have a heavy cast iron slywheel and a stamped steel flexplate as pictured above. You also could have the flexplate with the starter gear welded to it just like any C6 flexplate but. Your going to need a special 1.109 inch thick crank spacer. That spacer makes up the differance between the heavy cast iron flywheel type auto flexplate setups. None of those parts ar available any longer. I bought the last one Ford had after a nationwide search. Ended up not needing it too. Sometimes they come up on uhaul on ebay too. The heavy cast iron flywheel costs around $450.00 from Ford if... They still had any... They don't. Its now much better to convert to the simple stamped steel flexplate with the starter gear welded to it. BTS has them in stock usually too. They are only around $50.00 new compared to the other. The heaqvy flexplate setup requires three differant parts. The heavy cast iron flywheel. The thin stamped plate without the gear and the 4 inch washer that spreads out the clamping torque. If you convert from the heavy to the lite setup you will need the special washer or it wont work. BTS custom fabricates those too. Nobody sells them. I have two spares because I know they are valuable if you need one. Most late model idi engines will have this spacer and most of the time its nearly impossible to see it on the end of the crank. Many members have been fooled not knowing what they were looking at when they try to modify an auto trans engine to a standard trans engine. We get all kinds of "what the heck is going on with my crank" questions. A simple lite tap with a ball peen hammer knocks them off the crank end...

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Ill be posting photos of both of them. I have both because the truck had a C6 but im putting a E4OD in and im getting all my engine internals balaced tomorrow and they need the flywheel thats why im wondering.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

C6

E4OD

left c6 right e40d

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ill be posting photos of both of them. I have both because the truck had a C6 but im putting a E4OD in and im getting all my engine internals balaced tomorrow and they need the flywheel thats why im wondering.

C6 flex flywheel is the same for the E4OD.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can't see any pics. Use the liter model. Thats the one you can still buy most anywhere. The heavy one is no longer made or offered anyplace. Unless your like me and have some spares laying around. Even have some new parts for the heavy type too...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So it doesnt matter which one I use? The E4OD one is alot lighter. Which would be better to use? Can you see the pictures ok?

The early flex flywheel was used with both C6 and E4OD. Late 93 Ford changed to a stamped flexplate, discontinuing the flex flywheel.

You can use either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online