Flex plate what is the difference?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm changing engines in an '89, F350, crew cab, 4x4.
on the way out: 7.3 N/A
going in: '93 7.3 factory turbo engine that I believe came out of a F250, 2wd.

Here is my problem:
89 flexplate:
You must be registered for see images attach

Doesn't look like 93 flexplate:

What is the difference?
Is one better than the other?

Last edited:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
use the 89 flexplate since it sounds like you're reusing your stock transmission.
The heavy flexplate isn't prone to cracking like the later stamped steel unit is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 89 is the early heavy cast iron three piece wheel. They work fine but are no longer offered anywhere. The late stamped steel wheel is the acepted newer one.Its easy to find most anywhere. It has a spacer between the wheel and the crank... Thats an exclusive part for these flexplates.Ford no longer sells it either so make sure you save it or remove it from the crank when switching to the heavy cast iron wheel. Do not try to bolt the thin stamped flexplate with the starter gear welded to it on the crank with out the spacer. The bolts will go all the way thru the crank flange and bottom out on the main bearing journel... Don't ask me how I know this.... Its a real mess trying to remove bolts with the end threads damaged...Also make sure the bolt torque is 47 lbs and some blue loctite is used to seal the threads. Most any thread sealant will do. If nothing is used there will be an oil leak from the oily side of the oil pan....

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your converter will bolt to either flex plate. If you decide to use the stamped flex plate. Check the center for cracks. If any cracks are found toss it.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with the 89 flexplate. Unforunataly the last person in the trans did a trick of using the wrong nut??? but ended up double nutting one stud. This little trick boggered up the first few thread and the inner nut wouldn't come off inside the rig, so the converter came with the engine. Pulling the converter is not the ideal way of doing things but it worked out OK except for 3 bags of kitty litter to clean the mess up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm going to go with the 89 flexplate. Unforunataly the last person in the trans did a trick of using the wrong nut??? but ended up double nutting one stud. This little trick boggered up the first few thread and the inner nut wouldn't come off inside the rig, so the converter came with the engine. Pulling the converter is not the ideal way of doing things but it worked out OK except for 3 bags of kitty litter to clean the mess up.

If there was no binding of the converter hub everything should be ok. When the tranny is separated this way, the pump ends up wasted. Check the converter lock up seal for damage (teflon seal at the end of hub). Replace if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online