Flatlander engine demise discovered!!!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burned down

Now that this topic has been reviewed, I like to compare to my burnt down 7.3.
I did the same exact damage to the outside of the piston but the wrist pin had no damage.
This is the second time I fix the same problem, scored piston.
Both times I have to admit that I was the reason it melted down.
I turned the timing up by simply twisting the INJ Pump.
Soon after that the engine started making sump oil.
the second time It started ticking.
Both teardowns found rear cylinders scored 1 cylinder each time.

First teardown I find that one oil squirter was clogged.

second time I blame the Timing wich was my dumb ***.

I just picked up the last items to finish my build.

My build is all turbo OEM stuff but it will be tight quench.
So I fear another meltdown. I wish I could order a .070 head gasket
but Cometic hates our engines :dunno

I have seen a thin copper gasket for marine 351 Ford Engines to add to the existing head gasket, but I guess I am stuck with what I have. Victor Reinz brand.

I see the plate used to locate the pin oilers but in the pic I dont see how it works, any additional info you can provide or maybe a picture of another angle?
Thanks in Advance!

So I am on the same boat with my build, good luck to you guys with yours

Javier

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
... Untill your pulling a grade loaded or not. Then you will see temp excursions in the 260 degree area.. ...

Makes me think we may benefit from a thermostatically controlled oil cooler, We could use our fuel as a coolant.

Just like biology class dissecting something for the first time.:sly

Each engine will tell its own story the further you dig into them.
That's the fun part. The rest just costs money.:D

Hanging around here with knowledgeable group of good people sharing the carnage is the bonus.:thumbsup:

Agreed, depending upon the failure you can even tell how the operator drove (lugging, high rpm, or easy).

Its just like posted above. A person needs to be able to "read" what the engine internals are telling you. Its kinda like a language. At first you think... WTH is that... Then you pick up a few words here and there. Finally you are talking the talk.. Didn't we have this discussion some time back...:angel::sly Just see it.. Remember it... Move on to the next funny looking thing when you open something up. Now doing the RCA is the tuf part of a repair... The root cause annylisis is something very tuff to figure out. Just finding the broken part and replaceing it with the same brand and type of part is not going to keep it from happening again. The operating perameters are good to know too but thats not always possible. Stay tuned for more updates...:sly

Looking at external parts helps here, case in point my last 302 (bought for some suspension parts). Bad fan clutch, oil in the radiator, and the PO admitted to having his 16 year old driving it. The main webs were blue, he overheated the hell out of it, but that's not what condemned that poor thing. The PO replaced the front breaks and he forced the slide pins in sideways (for those who haven't looked the old Fords like ours have slide pins shaped like <> with rubber in them) so the front breaks sucked, the kid got in an accident and tripped the fuel shutoff.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron. Here's a place that has a good price on piston coatings. Wish I had found it before I had mine balanced and installed.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Great link Doc!!
Those are decent prices too! Now for a quick swim across the pond. :D

Now hers a question. Can I scrape the ceramic coating off one of my junk pistons to confirm if they've been coated or not or will it not come off easy?
Sides have not been coated and will be when I'm done.
I don't think I want to double coat the crowns on the remaining good pistons.

On edit may have answered my question. Crown scrapes easy.

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well I'm torn between a rock and a hard place. Wastegated twins or non gated.

Or more like do I wanna lift the heads at slow speeds or cruising speed. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please do not creamic coat the piston skirts....:eek: Look at Tech Line Coatings web site for all the options for pistons and internal parts coatings.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Nope. The link that Doc posted looks really good, on top of ceramic coating the domes, they moly coat the skirts.

Black dawg

Reaction score
interesting because GM 6.2s and 6.5s dont have cooling jets

this is what I have been thinking as well. Though it is pretty common to see cracked pistons and pistons with holes burned through them in the gm idi.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel dog catcher, what truck is that engine going in? Your blue one? And what turbos are you planning on running?

Also are any of your other squirters out of alignment too at all?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online