Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
And the 114111HA is what these are.
HA for hardened annodized material on the dome.:sly

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, sorry Ron. Just had to say something, as it wouldn't be as good if all the normal guys that pointed it out said it. Better if theres some randomness thrown in. And if I could be as any help with figuring out something on that plate and materials for that stuff I would be glad too! Glad to see this motor getting revamped.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the 114111HA is what these are.
HA for hardened annodized material on the dome.:sly

Per the Mahle dealer I got my pistons from, the HA version are no longer produced/available from Mahle.:puke: The HA's were what I was going to order, but the Non-HA versions are all that are currently available. The HA material had a black/dark coloration on the crown.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Per the Mahle dealer I got my pistons from, the HA version are no longer produced/available from Mahle.:puke: The HA's were what I was going to order, but the Non-HA versions are all that are currently available. The HA material had a black/dark coloration on the crown.

Heath

Don't say that!!! :backoff

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't say that!!! :backoff

Ken may be able to get some old stock HA's, my Dealer couldn't.:dunno If they are HA's, the crown will look like these, with the dark anodized material in the center of the crown.

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Boy I sure hope so Doc. I'm not looking forward to spending almost a grand on the KB silvolites, but feel that stock Mahles may not withstand long term life being shaved and ceramic coated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That black hard anaodised finish is little more than a felt tip marker....:angel::eek::rotflmao Actually its really a nice finish and it does ward off some heat too. Compared to ceramic coating a piston has not been done yet. It would be interseting to find out but the engineering is going to kill the wallet. Just to see what the differance is in heat dispersion.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
What makes me wonder tho Gary if .060" was shaved off, how much was the anodized dome to begin with and what the benefit would be at that point.
Keith Black sure is proud of the silvolites line at $90@ more than the Mahles.cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The black anadoised finish is so thin its almost impossible to measure it. The purpose it provides is heat delecction. I feel the creamic coating does a better job of that. The only issue with ceramic is they need to be sand blasted and coated almost the same moment. Leaving the blasted surface open to the air will sometimes cause the ceramic to not "take" to the aluminum piston. You just blow off the sand and coat the tops. Never use anything like a liquid cleaner. This I learned from Tech Line Coatings. Thats the stuff I used on my pistons. It was CBX and you and I can't apply it because of the hazardous material. They wont sell to us directly. Only to shops they know will do it right. I was under the impression I could buy it. Coat the pistons and bake them in the oven... Nope. The bakeing causes a very hazardous fume. Using the kitchen oven ruins it for any other use too so don't try that or the pan wil hit you up side the head...:sly Tech Line has some really nice products too...

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so impressed with the casual way you guys tear an engine apart and find the issues. Or just to rebuild. It humbles me how far I have to to go in my learning, and it gives me confidence to try.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I am so impressed with the casual way you guys tear an engine apart and find the issues. Or just to rebuild. It humbles me how far I have to to go in my learning, and it gives me confidence to try.

Just like biology class dissecting something for the first time.:sly

Each engine will tell its own story the further you dig into them.
That's the fun part. The rest just costs money.:D

Hanging around here with knowledgeable group of good people sharing the carnage is the bonus.:thumbsup:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always nice when I have an idea, I do a search, and use you guys all as guinea pigs hee hee. Thanks for paving the way hahaha

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
As we tell the newbies, stick around and we will help ya spend yer money....

Wisely! :D

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ron, go figure you would be one to get a blue engine from another member. On another note, i'd love to know the deminsions of the plate, where the wholes are at, and all. That would be a pretty handy little plate to have when rebuilding one of these motors.

Jim

Oh Jason,

This sounds like a call to you...... sounds like something else that could use your touch......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its just like posted above. A person needs to be able to "read" what the engine internals are telling you. Its kinda like a language. At first you think... WTH is that... Then you pick up a few words here and there. Finally you are talking the talk.. Didn't we have this discussion some time back...:angel::sly Just see it.. Remember it... Move on to the next funny looking thing when you open something up. Now doing the RCA is the tuf part of a repair... The root cause annylisis is something very tuff to figure out. Just finding the broken part and replaceing it with the same brand and type of part is not going to keep it from happening again. The operating perameters are good to know too but thats not always possible. Stay tuned for more updates...:sly