Fixing the fuel leak

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this morning I'm taking on the considerable fuel leak that's in the valley. Changing my oil at the same time.
I plan on removing the fuel bowl and fuel pump. Then I'll change the fuel lines and rebuild the fuel bowl o rings with the kit I got from diesel o rings. I'll be changing the fuel filter as well. I may be changing the mechanical fuel pump altogether.
I'm hoping to accomplish this without removing the turbo. Here's to hoping for smooth sailing.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well, this morning I'm taking on the considerable fuel leak that's in the valley. Changing my oil at the same time.
I plan on removing the fuel bowl and fuel pump. Then I'll change the fuel lines and rebuild the fuel bowl o rings with the kit I got from diesel o rings. I'll be changing the fuel filter as well. I may be changing the mechanical fuel pump altogether.
I'm hoping to accomplish this without removing the turbo. Here's to hoping for smooth sailing.

ive wrote this up before,,but. look at the turbo pedestal..in front.see the metal,,that curves like a boomerang,,between the front two hold down bolts??saw that out,,with a small airsaw. naw, it doesnt weaken it,,at least mine hasn't, in over 35,000 miles.. makes for MUCH easier to get on the 1 1/16 fuel bolt on the back of the pump...
MUCH easier..................:D

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the bolts for the fuel pump loose. Is it reasonable to try and remove the fuel pump without removing the turbo and fuel bowl? Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They're usually tight, just hit em good with a breaker bar.
It can be done without removing the bowl, but I highly recommend removing it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

sassyrel

Reaction score
personally,,for the cost of those three fuel lines from ford,,i bought high pressure fuel inj line,,which is rated for dsl also...bends WAAAAYYYYY easier,,and you DONT have to remove the fuel bowl...

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm more or less intending to replace all of the soft parts between the fuel pump and fuel bowl. I anticipate replacing the fuel pump as well. I already have the fuel lines from disdiesel o rings, but they were obviously more than standard high pressure infection line but less than Ford.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump and fuel bowl extracted. Zero tappets dropped.
Amateur diagnosis is the bottom fuel line was very swollen and could've been leaking. Water in fuel sensor likely leaking. Outside banjo bolt gasket looks worn out. Lastly, fuel pump squirting out fuel at bottom of pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online