Fix for boost gauge flutter

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info on the MAP Alan, I wasnt aware of that though I know I am not defueling above 22 PSI :D. Wonder what the PCM does on our trucks when it sees an over boost condition?

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
Bump!

Any one else try the snubber? Any more info from dale PSDfreak?

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Darth_Stroker said:
Bump!

Any one else try the snubber? Any more info from dale PSDfreak?

I have not heard anything more from Dale...I have been meaning to call him to talk about it...I'll let you know what I find out.

-Casey

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Ok just talked to dale...

He told me that with that "snubber" in the line you are not going to be getting as good/accurate of a reading as you would without it. The boost pressure is having to find its way through a restriction which is going to cause a delay in the gauge, in effect not giving you an accurate reading.

The reason we are seeing a flucuation in the gauge reading is due to some fluctuation in the actual pressure (due to it being a mechanical gauge). He told me to inspect uppipe donuts, orange boots on y-pipe etc....basically anywhere that could leak exhaust and cause the pressure to fluctuate. I know on my truck that where the exhaust manifolds meet the uppipes, there is a small leak there. I have some soot built up in the area. Dale told me that there is just a swedge there mates those two pipes, no gasket...pull apart and clean surfaces then bolt back together. I also will check the up pipe donuts as Dale said that he hasn't seen many trucks over 125k miles that DO NOT have some sort of up pipe donut leak.

So there ya have it...

-Casey

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'll check to see if I have any exhuast leaks. If I find any leaks I'll fix 'em and remove the snubber to see if it makes a difference.

Alan

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Darth_Stroker said:
Thanks for the update. I'll check to see if I have any exhuast leaks. If I find any leaks I'll fix 'em and remove the snubber to see if it makes a difference.

Alan

Good deal...let us know what you find.

-Casey

robertoh

Robertoh
Reaction score
Re gauges

95_stroker said:
Alan,

Yes, I have had Beans Stg I's in for almost a year now, same reults... I love them. But I'm not having HPOP issues at all, shouldnt need an intercooler and the jury is still out on the turbo. I just rebearinged it two weeks ago.

Richard,

The brand of guage doesnt seem to matter, there isnt any that seem to be immune to the flutter. My boost guage is a 40 psi model.
Has anybody tried an oil filled gauge--should stop the flutter some anyway ;Really :peelout later---bccanuk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online