Fix for boost gauge flutter

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some info. If your boost gauge flutters badly you can buy a pressure snubber from autometer for $10. It's a stainless fitting 1/8" npt with a porous media in the interior that will dampen the pulses that cause the flutter.
the part # is 12sE
The E denotes the porosity size you want
You may be able to buy it directly from the manufacturer
Chemiquip products co inc
Ph#202-868-4445

Gauge sellers this might be a nice add on to sell along with gauges or to offer as an option.
It took almost all my flutter away, and thats ******* a 35psi gauge.

Just my .02
alan

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I emailed Dale Isley about it asking him if he carries anything like that. He responded stating he hadn't heard of anything like that, so I directed him to the thread at TDS. He read through and got back to me saying that he didnt think that it was a "good" fix. There is a reason for the flutter and putting that dampener in could be just covering up a problem. I am going to call Dale and speak futher about it. I am in no way trying to stomp on Darth_Stroker's idea...I think its a great idea and obviously one that needs to be addressed as there are quite a few people that seem to show interest...I simply want to find the best solution to the problem.

Darth...have you noticed any ill affects from putting in the dampener such as different readings, slower readings etc???

I'll keep you all posted as I find out more...

-Casey

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
autometer says they flutter because they put no restriction in because their customers want the fastest read possible :rolleyes: . It is my uderstanding that the flutter is caused by the opening and closing of valves at high boost. Autometers fix is the pressure snubber. My gauge may sweep just a hair slower but nothing really noticable. What good is a gauge if its bouncin 10-15psi and you can't get a reading anyway?

P.S. it only started bouncin at higher boost levels. Before the stage 2's it didn't bounce that bad because of the lower boost numbers. now I'm ******* the 35psi gauge so before the snubber it was bouncin all over the place. ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your gauge bounces 10-15 psi? Mine (ISSPRO) is lucky to bounce maybe 2 psi. But I do have an annoying 'tick' in my gauge when the boost starts to really climb. Oh yeah.... I keep hitting that silly 35 psi mark too. ;Sweet

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
PSDfreak has Dale given you any more info?
95 Stroker didn't you just get some new injectors too?
I'm lovin mine but I need a SD hpop and an IC and a new turbo. Does it ever end? :frustrate

Alan

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Is this flutter an AutoMeter problem? I'm searching for gauges these days and I found a great deal on AutoMeters w/ a 3 pillar pod for $239 complete. I have no problem getting DiPricol or ISSPRO (for more money) if it will avoid this problem. Is it because you guys have bigger injectors? Do you with bigger injectors have 60lb or 35lb boost gauges?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alan,

Yes, I have had Beans Stg I's in for almost a year now, same reults... I love them. But I'm not having HPOP issues at all, shouldnt need an intercooler and the jury is still out on the turbo. I just rebearinged it two weeks ago.

Richard,

The brand of guage doesnt seem to matter, there isnt any that seem to be immune to the flutter. My boost guage is a 40 psi model.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Is this flutter an AutoMeter problem? I'm searching for gauges these days and I found a great deal on AutoMeters w/ a 3 pillar pod for $239 complete. I have no problem getting DiPricol or ISSPRO (for more money) if it will avoid this problem. Is it because you guys have bigger injectors? Do you with bigger injectors have 60lb or 35lb boost gauges?

i have a 35lb. autometer sport comp and it is steady as a rock... but i still have the stock squirters

just curious, could the gauge flutter be more of a problem with surge or stall than the gauge itself? i wonder if it would smooth it out if you added a ATS housing or something... where are you guys measuring it at? i could see how it could be more sensitive it the sender for the gauge is in the y rather than the map hose

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont get as much of a flutter as I do an audible tick with my gauge, and the higher the boost, the more pronounced the tick. As I said up about four or so posts, my gauge needle probably doesnt move more than a pound or so at the most.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Stock squirters are :thumbsup: ...I have nine... :rotflmao

well thats much better than me... i think i only have seven and half sometimes ... i'm scared to hook it up to a computer i'm afraid it will tell me i need some new ones :rolleyes: but its ok i have plenty of money to burn :mad: not

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
I'm teed into the map line. I really didn't start having flutter problems until I got TWildman's chip (boost went to ~25max) but since I got the stage 2's it's ******* the 35psi gauge. So I guess if your not going bigger than stock squirters and your not gonna get a chip your probably OK without a snubber.

95 stroker I don't know that I need a new hpop for sure but even in the econ setting if I get on it I can peg the boost gauge and I set a CEL until I turn off the truck and reset it. I don't think it's a map problem because I put in a DIY regulator from home depot to regulate the pressure the map sees to 22psi max.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alan,

What code are you seeing on the CEL? Is it MAP or HPOP? I'm thinking that twildmans burns disregard the MAP sensor, though I am not sure, but if they do you shouldnt need the MAP regulator right?.

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
I don't know what codes I'm setting yet I need to visit a friend in town with a scanner. When I talked with tony he told me that at boost above 22psi the map doesn't know what to do and will cause fueling problems and we talked specifically about doing the map regulator mod, so I would assume that it's still applicable even with his programming.
On the super dutys they will defuel but on the OBS the fueling gets cookoo

Thats my understanding of it but I'm no expert... just know what I've read and learned talking to folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online