VDO Gauge install

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I started to mod my IDIT today with some VDO vision Series 15psi boost and 1650f pyro gauges.
I also installed new BWD injectors, new return lines and plastic connectors, straight pipe exhaust, AFe filter, new Airtex LP, and cranked IP to 100%

The main reason I am posting is because I am not happy with the VERY slugish response of my VDO pyrometer. I did some research before going with the more affordable VDO gauges and they seemed to be the budget way to go... Wrong! After doing some testing I found the pyro to continue climbing for about four seconds after letting off the go pedal from wot.

I have never had anything but Autometer gauges and a Quad Pulse monitor in my other trucks and have never seen anything so laggy.

I think my fix is to buy a Autometer thermocouple and install it with the VDO pyro.

Any others messed with the VDO stuff or have another brand with bad lag?

BTW, on a run to 90mph I saw a peak of 1150f taken at #7 and about 8psi on boost. Sound about right?

bluecoot

Reaction score
The only bad thing I have to say about my vdo gauges is it's hard to read the pyro. I have the probe in the turbo housing on the ats 088 and I have heard that it runs cooler there. I have never noticed it to have a slow reaction or climb after I get off the throttle. As for the boost I hit 10 to 11 psi of boost whenever I want. I can hit 13 psi when pulling hills.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have VDO digitals, have had for a couple years. I just have oil pressure, water temp and volts, but they are VERY quick to respond, of course they are not budget either!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My boat has factory guages made by VDO. They have a warning sticker on the back that says "Do not subject to moisture or vibration". I kid you not! On a 20' boat! Needless to say, they are all JUNK. I'd stay far away from them.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
For $139 I expect a pyrometer to work well and fast! For about another $60 I could have had the Autometers I normaly run.

What further upsets me is that I paid extra for the "Vision" series with fiber optic lighting and three selectable colors. I was not so happy to find the boost gauge lacked any fiber optics and that the so called selectable colors were the standard bulb condoms that no other mfg would ever brag about these days.

The pyro lag thing is without a doudt being caused by the thermocouple.
I remember reading an article in the TDR magazine about the different brands of thermocouples and how quickly they respond, how accurate they are, and how durable. I am going to see if I can find this article and see if the VDO thermocouple was included in the test.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I was looking at getting the same pyro you have but decided to go with an ISSPRO for about the same price. I only have one VDO gauge at this time but plan on getting a oil pressure and oil temp vision gauges in the future. I think other than the pyro they make good gauges.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I think other than the pyro they make good gauges.

Based on my boost gauge I can agree. I think it was only $30, has better lighting than standard Autometer stuff, and I think it looks better.
I am going to see if Summit will accept a return and exchange toward another brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online