Fist Post, First Oil Burn Whooohooo!

TestDriver

Reaction score
All,

I've lurked on this site for about a year now. Recently, I finally joined. Now that I acquired my 94 Turbo F350 Crew Dually, I thought I could belong.

Also a first for me, I finally ran on oil this evening. After reading lots of posts by others on what to do and how to do it, I decided on a custom mix of my own. After all, there's dozens of ways people are doing this right?

My method is a mix of 60% WMO and 40% WSO. What is WSO you ask? Well, it's something that probably very few people have access to. Its waste shock oil. I work for a suspension parts supplier and the waste shock oil is a consequence of what we do. Normally, it would go into a container to be sent off to the recycler. Since this past winter, I've been collecting in a 275 gallon, home heating tank that I got for free. I had been burning it in my Mother Earth News waste oil heater in my shop. Since it got warm though, I've just been storing it.

My mix seems to give the right SG. I can't really tell using my cheapo tool so, a new one is in the plans. So far, the truck ran without any difference. But, I only drove it about 15 miles. The shock oil comes with other solvents mixed-in in small quantities. Mostly they're brake cleaner but I don't know how much of it stays in the mix and how much evaporates in the holding tank before I get it. This leads me to a few questions.

I've read about using an EGT. Where can I look for one? I have some idea of where to start like, racing go karts suppliers, racecar instrumentation companies as well as dedicated scientific instrument makers. Where do most here get theirs and how much do they run?

What temperature should the EGT show with no juicing the pump on my 94 turbo?

Anything else I should consider as far as instrumentation? There's an oil pressure gauge tapped off the turbo already. The delta between this and the dash gauge makes me doubt Ford did little more than install an almost binary display and call it a gauge.

Right now, I'm just filtering (after settling and mixing) through an oil filter using gravity. My plans are to fab up an engine driven pump to collect oil directly into an in-bed tank. From there, the oil will get run through an engine-pump-driven spinner centrifuge and gravity-fill (after several passes) the forward tank. The rear tank will be for pickling (purging?) the IP and lines. All of these sub systems will include heating of some sort. I just don't know what types I'll use yet. Hopefully, I'll score a tank in the next week or so.

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum. I run a mix of 50% WMO and 50% diesel. A pyro (EGT) gauge is available at parts stores, Ebay, VDO, and places like that. Spend the few extra bucks for a good gauge rather than a cheapo that could give bad readings. Your engine is depending on what you see on the gauge to avoid "melt-down". Not sure what your EGT temp should show under "normal" conditions, but 1,200 degrees is about the maximum that I'd want to see my temps at (pre-turbo).

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running on WMO make sure to keep an extra fuel filter or an entirely seperate system to filter the oil before it goes to the IP. I knew mine wouldn't last forever using WMO through the stock fuel filter but I carried a spare new filter behind the seat because I knew the time was coming. I made a fairly long trip over the weekend, mostly on WMO, and in the last 10-15 miles of the trip my filter light starting coming on and I could tell it was loosing power, I made it to a gas station, pulled in and changed filters and continued home. I am still fabricating my entire system but it works for warm weather, I currently have the rear tank down installing copper tubing inside of it to circulate coolant and I am also insulating the outside of the tank to hold in heat. My next step is to run HIH and then a heat exchanger. I was really pleased with the performance on the long trip, as this is the first long trip I have made on WMO, the rest were all short trips of less than 45 minutes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gauge thing gets better, the factory oil gauge has a resistor on the back of the dash panel to park the needle in the "range", the sender is an on off switch 7 to 10 lbs I believe.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get started on the WMO you'll never go back to straight diesel. I've noticed that I spend more money on gas for my Saturn (30 mpg) than Fuel for the truck!(10 mpg)

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get started on the WMO you'll never go back to straight diesel. I've noticed that I spend more money on gas for my Saturn (30 mpg) than Fuel for the truck!(10 mpg)

I remember your WMO setup from the rally, have you figured how many miles you get out of the stock filter before having to replace it? I am going to put a secondary filter on mine before long but am just curious as to how long yours is lasting.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Ford "Gauges"

The gauge thing gets better, the factory oil gauge has a resistor on the back of the dash panel to park the needle in the "range", the sender is an on off switch 7 to 10 lbs I believe.

That's as much as I thought. Last summer, I cooked a 302 on my 90 f150. All the while, the temperature gauge was in the normal range.

I'll be looking for some more real instruments.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I have put a few thousand miles on my rig with WMO of varying percentages. Most often the % was less than 50%. Right now I am a little over

It seems to run the same to me. I plan on checking everything when I drive tomorrow.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember your WMO setup from the rally, have you figured how many miles you get out of the stock filter before having to replace it? I am going to put a secondary filter on mine before long but am just curious as to how long yours is lasting.

It all depends on the oil quality. I had to change one on the way home in northern KY, that one only had around 600 miles on it. I think I got some water in one of my fuel jugs when it rained at the rally, water is the biggest killer of these filters, and the seperator dont do a really good job of seperating itLOL
The filters I've been going through so fast are cheap ones I bought on Ebay, I had real good luck with a larger filter off a 7.8L diesel.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

x2! I'm still running off my mix of fuel from the rally.
I guess I underestimated what a turbo'ed IDI will get lugging 17k.:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online