First long trip, new truck, What to look for?

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Ok, the wife and i are taking our jeep to the U.P. next week and it will be the first time i have taken the IDI on a long trip while towing. I have a Banks sidewinder kit and 4in exhaust so im sure it will pull the weight fine. My qustion is what can i run for long periods of time with my EGTs? I ran a long hill tonight( pretty good grade about 2 miles long) unloaded and it seemed to stay around 1000* most of the way up and i was running it pretty hard. I think im going to make a new intake tube to get way from the factory style one. Anything else i should look for?

Thanks

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
normal stuff for our vintage is to check the steering and brake components out and the cooling system. Most of us just hop in and drive and then find out whats broke. thats fine when your by yourself with nothing planned and close to home. Towing away from home, with the misses is not the time to find out your cooling system is sub par, or the brakes are iffy.

punk

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can't think of any real hard pulls up in that neck of the woods.that should be easy towing. Max on the egts would be 1250 and for a very short time that's if your pyrometer probe is before the turbo,( I believe 950 if after the turbo, roughly 300 deg difference if after turbo). 1000-1050 is well in the comfort zone.
If you are going up and taking the bridge or a ferry, that should be an easy run, if driving around, make sure your brakes are in good shape for all the nutcases running through chicago that will cut you off.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Im on the west side of Mich so i will be heading strait north and crossing the bridge. Steering and brakes are good. My egr probe is pre turbo in the head pipe so im good on that. I have never had it climb over 1050 getting it ******* some long grades with my foot planted to the floor. More concerned with egts than any thing. And keeping my boost to under 15 psi while hitting the hills. Hope it is a good trip. Thanks guys.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Have you got head studs on that thing? if not 15 psi boost is pushing it . really should try to keep it down to around 10 psi boost. If you're getting 15, you must have some serious fuel going to it.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to watch your egts on the hills towing. If you're hitting 1k empty, the truck is going to be working harder with the jeep in tow.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Yeah i got Head studs. Arp's. And Yes i do have lotsa fuel going to it. I try and keep the boost to 10psi or as close to it as i can. I have yet to run it over 12 for longer than a few seconds. It will climb to 10 as soon as i start getting into the rpms, say around 2500 or higher. I dont run it that hard all that often but it is nice to know i can when i want to. I hope with the pump turned up it does not make towing a nightmare by having to stay under 60 on the highway.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Hitting 1000 is a rare thing. But it will happen when i am really working the truck up some longer grades around here. Maybe i should turn down the pump a little.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 is probably ok with head studs, don't you all think? However smarter guys than me figure anything over 13psi is wasted as heat without an intercooler or water injection so you might still want to keep it to 12-13 or less. I doubt you'll have to go less than 60 on the highway, you might have to watch it on some steep grades, but having never towed on anything like that I can't be sure.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah i got Head studs. Arp's. And Yes i do have lotsa fuel going to it. I try and keep the boost to 10psi or as close to it as i can. I have yet to run it over 12 for longer than a few seconds. It will climb to 10 as soon as i start getting into the rpms, say around 2500 or higher. I dont run it that hard all that often but it is nice to know i can when i want to. I hope with the pump turned up it does not make towing a nightmare by having to stay under 60 on the highway.

I can pull my 5er that weighs in around 10k , at 70 mph all day long on those nice fairly level interstates, and my pump is not turned up very hot at all. You shouldn't have any trouble cruising along. I'd think the trailer typ might slow yopu down more than anything if it's a bumper pull it might get a bit squirrily, but if it's a gooseneck, you should be able to sail on down the road

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Ill be pulling a nice new heavy equipment trailer with my jeep on it. Might be 7500 at the most. I dont think ill have to worry. Just get a little nervous ya know.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a local grade you can do a test run on? Load up the jeep and check it out. As far as a long trip, I always carry extra fluids, tools, tape, wire, cash, just in case I need to rig something to get me/the truck into town if needed.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
I have towed about 9000 with it before i turned up the pump and it never even got close to hot in the egts. With the pump cranked now i still dont think it will be all that bad.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ill be pulling a nice new heavy equipment trailer with my jeep on it. Might be 7500 at the most. I dont think ill have to worry. Just get a little nervous ya know.

I think yer steepest grade will be just north of the "Mighty Mac."
After that it's pretty flat.
Tim sendin ya to Drummond Island for some mud?:sly

Sounds like ya have everything all covered. Ran Goldie up to Drummond loaded a few years ago and the only problem was a pooped out GPC.;Sweet

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Yeah my glow plugs are fryed and the controller is shot but i will take a cord with me. Time to change them when i get home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger