Fire rings

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, ive been around high powered pulling tractors for years and know that to hold the pressure that some of these high powered tractors push you need fire rings. so why dont we use them in our trucks? i mean, the international 504 is one of the better powerplants used in tractor pulls today. why cant another red motor take some of the same technology and make things even more bullet proof for us?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm considering Oringing my brown trucks turbo engine since its being a complete pain in the ass to get cometic to make phuzions for our engines. I don't know yet. Its like $1000 to oring the block so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is "they" say you cant because of the precup protruding outside the combustion chamber. On a DI engine, obviously that isnt a problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our combustion chamber is not a clean chamber. What I mean by that is we have a precup thats half in and out of the fire ring area. Cutting a fire ring thru that is not going to seal properly. If a fire ring were to be installed in an idi precup head the only way I feel it can be done is with a programed CNC mill. Then you can make a program to mill any fire ring design you want. I have seen some really great machinsts design programs that mill a name in metal as if you wrote on the metal with a pencil. Its not just a simple... Spin a circle in some cast iron and install some wire.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure those are C Rings

ditto. they went around the precup basically from what i understand. Figure the pre-cup can be proud .002" and the ignition is spreading across the piston in the other direction. I think the c-rings would work well.. but i honestly dont know.

wmoguy

Reaction score
ditto. they went around the precup basically from what i understand. Figure the pre-cup can be proud .002" and the ignition is spreading across the piston in the other direction. I think the c-rings would work well.. but i honestly dont know.

Its what the fabled 1200hp IDI Hypermax built had on it. Somewhere I have prices for them, they are really darn expensive (from Hypermax) is the problem.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The precup in the head is where the problem arises yes. But to get around it what you'd do is have the block oringed instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel