finally turboed

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after two days of work I have removed the turbo from the donor truck and made it fit on mine. The donor truck was a 2wd 4spd and mine a 4wd with an auto. The pipes were shot so I made all the pipes except the first foot of the down pipe. Its done and so am I. The test drive revealled a sticking throttle did all that I could to get it unstuck when it wouldn't I pulled off on an icy side street braking it and the motor running 2000 rpm.:eek: It seems like I don't have to get into the throttle as much so that should save some fuel. It sure whistles.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade. Which turbo did you go with?

Just looked it up and saw you have a hypermax. After doing a little tinkering and dialing in, give Mel a yell and put a moose pump on it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That throttle cable needs some lube..or outright replacement. The Ford one should still be available, NAPA has an acceptable substitute, but it needs a shim cause its too long. Same thing happened to me with my cruise cable towing the boat. No more cruise for me till I fix it.. Congrats on the turbo...do you have gauges? Do you ahve have #s? Turn the fuel up? Good luck,
JD

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a boost gauge and a pyro. On the 10 mile drive I took it on last night going from a stop up a long hill I hit 4.5 lbs of boost and 900 deg f. I had no load on. My pyro probe is in the left hand exhuast pipe an inch below the manifold flange. I haven't given it any more fuel yet. How much hotter will I get just pulling a trailer with horses in it. 900 is kinda of scary empty to me. I hear that 1200 deg is bad so I figured my shutdown would be 1100. How much will an intercooler help. A guy in town says he has a hypermax kit cheap but I still need to look at it. It does't really matter till I get the donor truck sold and have some cash to spend.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
1200 degrees is a safe max - meaning you can run that and not do damage - you can go over that but don't hang out there - 10 seconds above that would be my suggestion because it takes some time to heat soak everything the air fuel mixture might be that hot but the metal hasn't gotten there yet - at least that is my theory. When ever I tore down my IDI I didn't show signs of melting anything and ran like that quite a bit and my cummins doesn't show signs of getting too hot either and trust me I blow past 1500 degrees on a pretty regular basis but again I don't hang out there for very long.

I would say you should be able to turn it up then just keep an eye on it when towing the trailer or hauling heavy on the grades.

So do you still have a perma grin on after driving her? I can remember when I put a turbo on my IDI and that first drive - oh man hands down the best dollar per HP I ever spent on the E.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congrats! Got any pics of the pipes you made?

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm smiling now. I replaced the throttle cable and turned the pump up. I made 7 psi boost and got to 1000 deg f. It ran as good as my old 460 truck. I'm proud of it.:D I will still put an intercooler on it. As for pics I'll try. I'll have to figure out my wifes dig camera and then how to post them. :dunno Being able to get to this sight and type is the extent of my computer skills.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isnt it a thing of beauty, turned a slow old diesel something actually plesant to drive. Good luck with it, I hope you have many years of service out of it without any problems ;Sweet.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isnt it a thing of beauty, turned a slow old diesel something actually plesant to drive. Good luck with it, I hope you have many years of service out of it without any problems ;Sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online