Finally...it's right

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 13 months, 1 good body, 2 idi donors.....the truck is running as it should. There's a couple of little things that need to be tweaked...but it looks like she's finally right. A small puff of black when you hammer on it but that's it. No oil consumption either. I was shocked at how quickly and easily EGT's can hit 1000. As much coal as that other motor would roll....it can't be any good.

One of the little issues is when I get up to 70...I don't seem to have much pedal left. I'm going to change the fuel filter and see if that helps...but if I advanced the timing a smudge...would that help? I'm assuming the timing has never been touched and I don't have a meter, but well aware of how sensitive it is.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nyteshades, you're running out of pedal at 70? The first check is to see if your cable is letting you reach true wide open throttle. They have been known to stick. What do your rpm look like at 70. I'm thinking a bit over 2000, maybe close to 2500? Redline should be at 3350 unless you have played with it and bumped it up or have an IH spec injection pump in which case it would be around 28 or 2900 and running out of throttle might make sense. As regards the timing, it probably is slightly retarded, you should really cast about for other IDI folks in your area that might have the timing tools. I suppose you could try advancing it a dime's width or 2 to see what effect that has. Make sure you mark where it is now so you don't lose your bearings in case you don't like the more advanced setting. Congrats on putting it all together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before changing the timing use a center punch and mark the joint in the middle so the timing can be set back where you started from. Its really easy. Just watch the two half circles line up and make one big circle again... That sure beats scribing a line across the joint of the pump to the gear housing like we have now...:sly

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nyteshades, you're running out of pedal at 70? The first check is to see if your cable is letting you reach true wide open throttle. They have been known to stick. What do your rpm look like at 70. I'm thinking a bit over 2000, maybe close to 2500? Redline should be at 3350 unless you have played with it and bumped it up or have an IH spec injection pump in which case it would be around 28 or 2900 and running out of throttle might make sense. As regards the timing, it probably is slightly retarded, you should really cast about for other IDI folks in your area that might have the timing tools. I suppose you could try advancing it a dime's width or 2 to see what effect that has. Make sure you mark where it is now so you don't lose your bearings in case you don't like the more advanced setting. Congrats on putting it all together.

I thought about the throttle after I posted this. I'll check that this week. As far as the pump, I haven't touched it but that doesn't mean anyone else hasn't. I'll tinker with everything else before touching the timing.

sassyrel

Reaction score

you WONT, lose bearings--but you will fry glowplugs!!!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My axel is fine -I have a carrier I ned to put in because my lod one has a loto of wear in the carrier where the spiders ride (100s of thousand miles of hard towing have taken thier toll). I actually would like to consider doing a swap to single wheels -but a set of 3:55s for a sterling would save me fuel money-and a single wheel set up would make it easier to find a nice bed at an affordable price. Also 2 tires are cheaper then 4. I don't see me hauling heavy again in my life time,except for possibly local stuff on a rare occasion. Although like an old fool I am entertaining the idea of sitting on my tractor doing some mowing for $ a few extra dollars - don't know if i can take it but would love to try (the wife thinks I'm crazy) but I hate not being able to work much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online