finally got it apart

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
a few months back i posted that my 92 had gotten water in it while it was running. well finally got the motor pulled and apart and found the #8 piston rod bent so im thinking since i have it all torn down should i just overhaul the hole thing? and also i read some where that blueing on the crank was a bad thing? i can see on my crank where the # 7 and #8 rods connect to the crank the crank lobes have a little blueing on them

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few months back i posted that my 92 had gotten water in it while it was running. well finally got the motor pulled and apart and found the #8 piston rod bent (see pic)
You must be registered for see images
so im thinking since i have it all torn down should i just overhaul the hole thing? and also i read some where that blueing on the crank was a bad thing? i can see on my crank where the # 7 and #8 rods connect to the crank the crank lobes have a little blueing on them
where's the pic?:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the crank is blue its time for another crank. The blue color means its seen plenty of heat. I have some spare non turbo rods. PM me and we will work out a deal. Rebuilding this is a good idea just because your that far into it now. Pictures that are clear and not blurred would really help too...:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is seeing the heat treating, if the journal was blue it would have seized.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... I'm hoping thats what is being seen. I'm thinking like you.... If the bearing turned blue the crank would have burned badly and the rod bearings would have been stuck to the crank like you said... I wasn't thinking too clearly....

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
i have pulled and the main caps and all the rod caps and the crank journals are beautiful and none of the bearings show any sign of wear. so maybe the crank is still good? im having the shop dye pen the crank along with the block and heads
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you got her apart. I'd rebuilt it while you have it that far torn down.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like that rod was trying to do a reach around with another rod...:eek::rotflmao As Russ posted... Glad it didn't break off. This is a very good example that fluids wont compress like a gas or air will....

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
so here are some pics of the crank after i got it out u can see the lobs that have blueing so what do you guys think new crank or just clean up and balance also the main bearings had minimul wear on then except the #3 the flange area was showing copper and the piston rod bearings 4 out of the 8 were showing copper the back 4

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those rod bearings on the crank really look odd. Any chance the bearings are 10 under... Could this crank have been turned before and ground undersize:dunno The blue color has me worried. I have enver seen a hardened bearing turn blue like that...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
it is odd it looks to me like when you sharpen a chisel on the bench grinder and you dont quench it you get the blue on the end. you gotta get the blue off cuz it will never hold an edge just dull quickly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will look like that till it is polished again. Nothing to worry about that I see.

Here is mine right off the polisher. standard journals are still a little colored just dark looking not mirror shiny.

Attachments

• rail mods 059.jpg
    rail mods 059.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 40

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
sweet thanks for all the info guys so took the block to the shop today to tank it and mag it to see if there is any problems. any thoughts on sleeving all eight and if so where to get sleeves?