Finally finished exhaust!

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after having all the parts for 2 years I finally got the exhaust finished! It consists of all the ATS upgrades (turbine housing, outlet elbow, and downpipe) to a US Gear exhaust brake to a 7' long 5" water pipe to a 5" tail pipe to a 6" stainless exhuast tip ;Sweet . I can't wait untill the truck is together enough to drive it. But here are a few pictures of the exhaust. I would post more at a time if this stupid dial up was faster:puke: .

Attachments

• 60.JPG
    60.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 61.JPG
    61.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 62.JPG
    62.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 30

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the rest of the exhaust pictures and one of the coolant filter.

Attachments

• 64.JPG
    64.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 65.JPG
    65.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 66.JPG
    66.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 29
  • 67.JPG
    67.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 31

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be too far from home when you hit that brake. If any of the exhaust clamps are remotely loose between the motor and the brake, a pipe will pop off. second, rumor has it the valve springs on our IDI's aren't tolerant to that kind of backpressure. Isn't being the "lab rat" cool?:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be too far from home when you hit that brake. If any of the exhaust clamps are remotely loose between the motor and the brake, a pipe will pop off. second, rumor has it the valve springs on our IDI's aren't tolerant to that kind of backpressure. Isn't being the "lab rat" cool?:D

You are correct TC. Exhaust brake is not good for engines with hydraulic lifters because they cant take the back pressure.

Jacobs doesn't even make an exhaust brake for the 7.3 PSD because both Ford and Navistar asked them not to for that reason. They don't make them for the IDI, 6.0 PSD or 6.4 PSD either.

Here's a quote from Jacobs website FAQ page.

FAQ4:

Do you make a product for the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke or Navistar International T444E engines?

ANSWER:

No, Jacobs does not offer an exhaust or engine brake for these engines in fact, Navistar and Ford have requested that we do not develop one for these engines.
The primary concern with putting a retarder on these engines is their use of hydraulic lifters. Most engines with hydraulic lifters have fairly low exhaust back pressure limits so the performance of an exhaust brake would not be substantial. More importantly the use of an exhaust brake on an engine with hydraulic lifters can cause engine damage. The problem is that the increased back pressure resulting from the operation of the exhaust brake will cause some degree of valve float. This valve float can cause the hydraulic lifter to re-set with the valve still open (not seated). This phenomenon is known as lifter jacking. Lifter jacking could also result if a traditional engine brake were used on these engines. The results of lifter jacking can be anything from low positive power (because the valves stay open) to engine damage caused by valve to piston contact.

Yes there are people making them but having used Jacobs fine engine braking products myself on big trucks and having personally seen the inside of one of these engines after a catastophic hydraulic lifter failure. I respect them for their decision to not make a product just out greed and ignore the consequences. I wouldn't do it.

Enjoy. Good luck;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
have you experienced the decel bark on your ATS yet? ;Sweet:D

Oh yeah I have, or at least I think were on the same page, you are talking about the jake brake sound right? If you are then yes and what I do is find a nice hill and go down it doing around 60mph and downshift into 3rd gear, it sounds awsome ;Sweet .

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I have, or at least I think were on the same page, you are talking about the jake brake sound right? If you are then yes and what I do is find a nice hill and go down it doing around 60mph and downshift into 3rd gear, it sounds awsome ;Sweet .
yup.
that's the noise:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful sound, ain't it? :D

******, how comfortably does the 5" over-axle pipe fit in there? Any issues with it interfering with the spare tire or with suspension travel? Is the truck at the stock ride height?

I ask because I was having a discussion with someone about this a while back, and he was concerned about those issues with trying to fit a 5" pipe, and IIRC no one had actually tried it at the time. I've got a 3" system in my truck (still not hooked up :rolleyes: ), but I'd like to go up to a 5" system someday when $$ allows and I have time to experiment...

Thanks! Looks VERY good, BTW...be interesting to see how the exhaust brake works; I don't know of anyone who's tried one on an IDI before...

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
******, how comfortably does the 5" over-axle pipe fit in there? Any issues with it interfering with the spare tire or with suspension travel? Is the truck at the stock ride height?

I ask because I was having a discussion with someone about this a while back, and he was concerned about those issues with trying to fit a 5" pipe, and IIRC no one had actually tried it at the time. I've got a 3" system in my truck (still not hooked up :rolleyes: ), but I'd like to go up to a 5" system someday when $$ allows and I have time to experiment...

Thanks! Looks VERY good, BTW...be interesting to see how the exhaust brake works; I don't know of anyone who's tried one on an IDI before...

Tim, the exhaust looks to clear the axle but I haven't loaded it down to see yet. I can't say if it would affect the spare because I don't have one, and the back is stock height. I got a 5" tail pipe for a 99 and up psd and it appears to fit fine, a little tight but ok. The 5" tail pipe and 7' of 5" water pipe ended up costing about $250.

Now the exhaust brake I got on Ebay last year for $200 and it came off of a 93 turbo idi 5 speed, and the guy said it worked awesome. He said that the only reason he sold the exhaust brake was he sold the truck and the new owner didn't want the brake cookoo cookoo .

BTW Tim I borrowed your coolant filter idea:D .

And thanks for the compliments everyone ;Sweet .

7.3shrk

I like the spot for the coolant filter - and issues with clearance?

Also, off the wall question more towards tonkadoctor - or anyone else that can answer it, but theoretically, if you used solid lifters on these motors, could you safely use an exhaust brake, or are there other factors? Should I just mount discs on the back of my truck, put in a hydroboost, and forget about the exhaust brake altogether?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Here is a link to the US Gear exhaust brake page http://www.usgear.cc/dcelerator.htm . The one I have is the suped duty model with a wastegate on it. Will that still cause problems for the valve springs?

That's the same one I pulled off my donor truck. It wasn't working when I pulled it due to a lot of carbon deposits blocking the port for the hose going to the intake. I will be installing it, so hopefully you get yours going and have good results.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the coolant filter location. Mine is residing on the back porch after being evicted from the engine bay by the new alternator and future intercooler piping.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
You're right about loose clamps, but it do sound good when they blow loose. I had to add a piece of flatbar, about 1"x 1/8" between clamps to hold mine together when I hit my E-brake.

As far as being ******* lifters, I wouldn't doubt it. I heard both ways before & after I put it on, & knowing way these engines are designed, I suspect that in long run it's not good on it....but, Oh Well!
I've had my US GEAR mounted since '98 & lots & lots of miles. I Keep ck on oil level because my oil consumption do go up when I use it a lot. Leaks & slobbers & blows out'a cracks where there ain't cracks! But I decided not worry about this nasty greasy slobberin engine for now, too many arms in fires right now....I'll take pride in my other engine when I get it back together.

But I do like the Ebrake. Really helps on some of my loads. Last yr I got to wondering if Ebrake was screwing up my rings/compression. Did comp. test & all of them IIRC was about 425 ea.

I just try to always have plan "B" lined out everytrip.....haul it home, drag it, find another engine, or worse yet, be prepared to walk for a while