Finally done!

92 F-350CC

Reaction score
Got the old 7.3 done and back on the road, put in new coated pistons, had all 8 cylinders sleeved, heads rebuilt, new lifters, cam, and injectors. Seems to run alot better than when I pulled it out. When can I start pulling with it? How long should I allow the pistons to seat? Thanks for all the help on the forum. John
Oh I have my other lifters, all good if someone wants them. John

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
It's a diesel - start working it. I just would not hang out at one constant rpm while I drive down the highway for the first 500 miles for more than 5 mins at a time - this keeps changing the pressures the rings. Then I would change the oil at 500 miles and call it done.

Thing is you ask 10 people how to break in a engine and you'll get 10 different answers... so which one is correct :confused:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just drive it like normal, watch all guages and listen for noises. Load it up, pull some hills dont let the temps climb too much. After 200 miles change the oil filter, top it up and go baby go.
Work on every engine I overhaul.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you baby it the cylinders will glaze up with burned off oil and the rings will never seat. You asked how long does it take for the pistons to seat.... I'm sure you ment the piston rings. The pistons really only hold the rings in place so you have something that can help create compression. They do rock just a little in the cylinders causings some slight wear on the skirts but thats about all they do other than keep the rods in place... :angel: About 500 miles is the right answer then drive it like it was designed. Think of a Freightliner or a Peterbuilt breakin. How long do you think they let these money makers run before they put a load on them??? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online