Faucet Pump

1983idi

Reaction score
So I installed the faucet pump to do away with my old carter pump that I had to replace twice. How is the faucet supposed to sound. Mine kinda sounds like one of the click clack pumps like a MR gasket style.

I also have only a tiny bit of fuel showing in the clear filter housing. My pump is mounted horizontally so maybe thats the issue but seems wierd. I have fuel flow at the schrader valve on the filter housing

The truck does run altho if I turn the pump on or off it really doesn't seem to make a difference which makes me think the pump isn't working right.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The truck does run altho if I turn the pump on or off it really doesn't seem to make a difference which makes me think the pump isn't working right.
These days that's a real possibility. Sometimes those pumps aren't any good straight out of the box. I don't think that those are designed to be mounted horizontally like yours is. It would be easy enough to tip it the other way and hold it in place to test it.

1983idi

Reaction score
These days that's a real possibility. Sometimes those pumps aren't any good straight out of the box. I don't think that those are designed to be mounted horizontally like yours is. It would be easy enough to tip it the other way and hold it in place to test it.

Doesn't make a difference standing vertically but it's still pushing fuel out the schrader valve in a steady stream.

I don't understand what is going on with this thing! Where is the fuel even coming from! Why don't they just make a bulletproof diaphragm pump! lol

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Take out the core from the valve and put a pressure gauge on it and see if it changes with the pump on/off.

HFT sells a cheap test gauge for both low fuel pressure (10psi max) and vacuum (25in Hg vac max). Works great for IDIs. The hose on it fits the valve stem perfectly, no clamp or fitting needed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My supply (lift) pump is a simple pulsating unit. It is switched such that it will run either when there is oil pressure, always, or never. A couple times I have driven of with the pump turned off. I drove three miles at fifty MPH, and the engine did not seem to notice. The injection pump pulled fuel thru a two micron RACOR, then thru the supply pump.

I long ago removed the filter on the engine. The RACOR is probably more restrictive than the original, and I am pulling thru rather than pushing fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker