Fast Idle Solenoid

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse or fusible link location for fast idle solenoid on my '90, anyone?? Thanks in advance.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Fusible link. Same one runs the fss, if your truck starts and runs you don't have an open circuit.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than likely, you have a faulty connection on your cold temp switch.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Or just a faulty switch. Switch is easy enough to test - continuity / ohm test should show closed when cold, open when hot. To test the solenoid itself and the wiring, disconnect the switch and put a jumper wire between the terminals on the connector. Turn the key to RUN, and the solenoid should visibly kick.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. Sending unit was the problem. Should of checked that before the shout. Sometimes it's the simple things. Happy Holidays!!!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Simple" troubleshoot, yeah. Fix is not as simple as it looks. The way the thermostat gooseneck curves back, you can't get a socket on it. I ended up using a broken-off box end of a combo wrench, then another open-end wrench on the stub (kinda hard to describe). Or if you're planning on servicing the cooling system soon, you can reach it easy with the thermostat housing removed.

('Course, this is on my '85 6.9; 7.3 may be different :dunno)

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was some thoughtful design that went into that water neck. You would have thought Navistar and Ford could have sorted that out. Hell, it's a minor struggle to get the pigtail onto the sensor properly. Still, I wouldn't trade it for a new one. Happy Holidays.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't have a problem on my 6.9s. Just used a socket and long extension.
This is for the switch/sensor for the cold idle / cold advance? The one all the way forward, just below/behind the gooseneck? I'd like to see what kind of socket you were able to get on it. Original thermostat housing? Hmm, wonder if they changed it at some point; what year truck(s) do you have?