Fan Wrench At a Great Price

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Using anything but the proper tool for this job and you risk the fan unscrewing when the motor stops. Then you ****** up the radiator along with the fan blades... The tool is cheaper than the radiator..... Keep in the tool box.... Nope.... Under the rear seat...:angel:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Using anything but the proper tool for this job and you risk the fan unscrewing when the motor stops. Then you ****** up the radiator along with the fan blades... The tool is cheaper than the radiator..... Keep in the tool box.... Nope.... Under the rear seat...:angel:

19 years of working on cars, not one issue with the fan coming off. Guess it is just my luck:rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes dieselbrad... You are lucky... The torque for that nut is 165lbs... I'm thinking a large pair of channelt locs can't make that.... sfaely but.... Your a trusting person too. I hope you never have to make a post about needing a radiator because the fan dug a swimming pool in it....:D I actually use blue loctite and a 36 inch snapon breaker bar to make sure nothing is left to chance.... I never have any issues taking them off either... Sure it tuff but that my piece of mind.... My aluminum rodney red radiator at $650.00 must outlast me....

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the torque spec was so high. I have one of the wrenches, but the handle is less than a foot long. If the spec is so high, why is the handle so short? IIRC, the nut "spins tight" if it's loose due to the direction of the turning fan. I can't figure why you'd need 165 ft.lbs.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I didn't realize the torque spec was so high. I have one of the wrenches, but the handle is less than a foot long. If the spec is so high, why is the handle so short? IIRC, the nut "spins tight" if it's loose due to the direction of the turning fan. I can't figure why you'd need 165 ft.lbs.

Without 165 ft lbs the thing could come loose when the engine shuts down abruptly. THE handles may be short on those things but they have a half inch hole in the end to insert a torque wrench. The speck gives a range and if you torque it to the lower end of teh range with a torque wrench inserted in that hole it will be seriously cranked down due to the torque multiplication of teh handle extension. However, I wouldn't count on those thin wrenches doing the job. Snap on and Napa carry some nice thickwrenches for the application that you dont have to worry about them splaying out or damaging the nut and you can get a real nifty holder that bolts to the pulley from snappy for a powerchoke that will fit by enlarging a couple of holes a bit, that will brace against the frame rails when removing and tightening the nut.saves a lot a busted knuckles over that OTC type setup, that I've found pretty worthless.

Butcherman

Reaction score
I had a water pump go out on my 94 IDI back in 97 in Des Moines. I had a bed full of AMC parts and a car trailer with a 70 AMX on it, and no tools.
Went to the local Ford dealer there and paid to get the pump replaced. Came to get the truck, it was still sitting in a bay, and had coolant all over the place. When I asked what happened, was told the tech didn't torque the fan nut properly, and it came loose and put the fan into the radiator when he parked it.
Had to wait an extra day for them to get the rad repaired, and it was never right after that.-cuss