fair market value

kowboi73

Reaction score
hey guys,
anyone know what my truck's worth. It runs good, but looks rough. to recap it's 1989 f250 7.3l 4x4 with who knows how many miles. I've been driving it every day for amonth now. I've put probably 1500 miles or so on it with no mechanical problems. It's averaged 18 mpg over the last 3 tanks. The ac does not work, and the passenger side window won't go up, haven't had time to look at it.

the reason I'm asking is my boss just made me an offer I almost can't refuse. An old work truck from the company. It's a 2003 chevy reg cab. 2 wd. v8 , auto, with ac for $1000. That's right 1000 dollars. he says it's worth 7 or 8k, which I believe. I don't know if I can turn him down, it's a heck of a deal. Don't have room for 2 trucks and I really want/need air conditioning in Texas during the summer.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELL---- If you want a 2wd Che*y gasser then it sounds like a good deal.

If you want a 4x4 diesel, then the A/C in your existing ride can be fixed.

It doesn't really matter what the trucks are worth, but what you need.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i bet you could get your a/c fixed for less than $1000. that said if you like the chevy better, snatch it up. they are nice trucks. hardly a 3/4 ton diesel though. but if it's enough truck for you that doesn't matter.

how many miles on the chevy?

you don't say where your from but i'd guess a 4x4 supercab could fetch 1500-3000 bucks in rough condition.

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
what would I do?

I'd most certainly buy that $1000 dollar chevy thats worth $8000

I would have my wife drive right to my boss's house with $1000.... We would than drive straight to my father in laws work, drop off the chevy with a FOR SALE sign on it asking for $8000.

with haggling I'd eventually sell the chevy for $6500, spend a few weeks and about $4000 on my old diesel truck, and pat myself on the back with the extra spending cash.

thanks for listening,
Drew

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, but how much would that **** off his boss who is selling it to him? Try to stay on the good side of the dude who signs your checks if that's the case...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
SKimballC said:
Yeah, but how much would that **** off his boss who is selling it to him? Try to stay on the good side of the dude who signs your checks if that's the case...

Prolly a good idea! :draw

kowboi73

Reaction score
yeah i thought of selling the chevy too. probably should drive it or at least keep it for awhile first (a couple of months). It's got high miles, like 150 to 160k. All highway miles, for whatever that's worth. My f250 for $800 sight unseen. it's got 135$ worth of diesel fuel in it right now! LOL Not to mention $200 worth of brakes that I did 4 weeks ago. I really like driving it, but.... I called my boss this morning and told him that I'd take the chevy. I'm driving to HOuston in the morning to pick it up. I'll keep you posted.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do mean A/C in Texas? C'mon you already got one window down, roll down the other one, that'll cool you off. Just kidding. I took a reman compressor, new orifice tube, and condensor for mine. All together, $180 at AZone.

Seriously though, I would strongly suggest NOT getting rid of the diesel quite yet. A 2003 gasser with 150k has been driven nearly to death. I gotta a strong feeling the Chevy's gonna need some motor work soon. The fuel injection system on those trucks weren't the strongest. And I'd certainly do a compression test and hook it up to a diagnostic computer.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think I would adress the trust issue 1st,If your boss really feels the Chevy is worth even 4000 OR better he must feel he is doing you a favor.
This reminds me of a time when a real good friend of mine bought a Harley for $2000 from an estate auction Nice looking but the engine was rebuilt but never started and wouldnt start.He put $100 into the ignition and it ran like a top.He called me and offered it to me for what he had in it $2100 cause I was having a hard time and we used to ride together.I figured it was worth at the time about $6000 to $7000,but I turned it down.Several people told me I was crazy ( I wondered if I was crazy to). But it was a matter of consience.He bought and sold quite a few motorcycles from time to time to support his Indian collection.My feeling was that if I got tight for money and had to sell it I would be taking the profit that should have been his, so I let it go he sold it for $6000 and 3 years later it sold again for $10,000.I still have a friend and that is more important then having a Harley or $3900 or more profit.
My 2 bits

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Doc said:
A 2003 gasser with 150k has been driven nearly to death. I gotta a strong feeling the Chevy's gonna need some motor work soon. The fuel injection system on those trucks weren't the strongest. And I'd certainly do a compression test and hook it up to a diagnostic computer.
although i agree i bought my work truck with 150k on it and it now has 196k and only had to put a tranny and brakes in it (i also got a good deal :Sly )...but mine's a FORD ;Sweet
i agree on all counts of getting it checked out, then if it looks good i'd prolly buy it.

kowboi73

Reaction score
Well I bought to 2003, got home and guess what?

It runs good and the AC blows snow.

I thought about all the stuff you guys were saying, trust me I can't afford to get into a jam, but I figure a $1000.00 is a great deal, not a good deal, but a great deal. Even if the engine fell out of the truck tomorrow, I could put another one in and still come out ahead. Not a lot ahead, but ahead. Anyways, I may keep my truck, (F250) or sell it. I haven't decided, I am just north of San Antonio, but it is real hot. You'd think after 27 years of living in Texas I'd get used to it. I have to wear a tie for work (my boss' idea, not mine) by the time I drive 20 miles to work I'm sweating like a ***** in church. No more sweating before work for me! LOL

:angel: