Factory coolant temp sensor

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is it and how do I test it? And is it pre or post t-stat? My truck didn't warm up on the normal morning drive today and it always does. So I'm hoping it is the temp sending unit. Or maybe a stuck open thermostat?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be either of course. The temp sender that operates the high idle and timing advance is between the IP and the thermostat housing, right on top behind the IP gear case (or to the left of it) kinda hard to see.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some coolant on the bottom side of the hood and on the top of the driver side battery, but I can't tell where it is comming from. Any Ideas

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
number 2 cyl is where the stock sending unit is. its in the head with one wire going to it, pull the wire off and ground it and see if your gauge pegs or not.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some coolant on the bottom side of the hood and on the top of the driver side battery, but I can't tell where it is comming from. Any Ideas

Water pump. The fan turns clockwise, so it's slinging it on the battery.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sir are right on I just checked the water pump and the bearing is gone. So I'm doing it tonight. Is a water pump from Napa ok? It's a new unit not a reman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online