Facet/Carrier lift pump on inner fender. Good idea?

Reaction score
I was scoping out locations for the Carrier pump today, and this looked pretty good:

You must be registered for see images attach

It means relocating the jack (or discarding) and a wee bit of drilling, but I could easily get nuts behind the fender. Plumbing would be easy other than ensuring the soft line I'd run from the OEM metal line to the pump didn't contact the exhaust manifold. Power couldn't get any easier, and then all I have to do is find a switched source for the relay.

Thoughts?

Mike

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
my holly red pump replaced my low vacuum switch... dont worry i have hydro boost

not sure if its ok to sit on its side but its been there for 4k miles with no issues

its new but dirty..

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Got mine on the inner fender. Fabricated a mount instead of puttin straight to fender.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my pump before I installed it. I made a bracket out of 1/8" or 1/4" steel. I mounted it to the top of the fender where the vacuum "ball" is and relocated the ball. I can take a pic of it installed if you would like.

Attachments

• ip pump bracket not installed 001.JPG
    ip pump bracket not installed 001.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 101

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was scoping out locations for the Carrier pump today, and this looked pretty good:

It means relocating the jack (or discarding) and a wee bit of drilling, but I could easily get nuts behind the fender. Plumbing would be easy other than ensuring the soft line I'd run from the OEM metal line to the pump didn't contact the exhaust manifold. Power couldn't get any easier, and then all I have to do is find a switched source for the relay.

Thoughts?

Mike

This is a fine location but not for changing the filter on it. They suck very well too from the tanks way up front like this too. I installed mine just past the fuel tank switchover valve. I made a bracket from 1 1/2 inch angle iron. I'm just looking at the area you have and wondering how you might remove the bowl to get at the strainer.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also mounted mine down on the frame rail. It seems to work very well down there, and the bowl is easy to remove for cleaning.

I just don't like the idea of something else in the engine compartment. I don't like clutter. The less up there the better for me.

Other than my personal feelings, that looks like a great place to mount it. Almost did mine there, but I was afraid the hood springs would get too close.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have mine on the frame rail, just forward of the fuel selector. I was a bit concerned about heat soaking it in the engine compartment.

Ocelotl

Reaction score
I installed mine right on the support bracket for the passenger side battery, half between the engine and the radiator. It was difficult to wedge a cordless drill down there to drill the mounting holes but I managed. I thought I'd keep the inner passenger fender area free for when I install a coolant filter.

Reaction score
This is a fine location but not for changing the filter on it. They suck very well too from the tanks way up front like this too. I installed mine just past the fuel tank switchover valve. I made a bracket from 1 1/2 inch angle iron. I'm just looking at the area you have and wondering how you might remove the bowl to get at the strainer.

It'd probably require removing the pump, which wouldn't be all that bad. I picked up the matching pigtail for the harness on the pump (as seen in the pic), so pulling it would just be a couple of bolts and an electrical connection, assuming I leave enough slack in the lines to manipulate it as needed. I also ordered some pemnuts (rivnuts) to mount it to the fender so I won't have to mess with getting nuts back there.

A bit embarrassing to confess, but I cannot get the bowl off this thing. I'd take some pliers to it, but it's plastic. Guess I should get that worked out before I mount the thing. Should I expect to have to access the strainer often?

Mike

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be embarrassed... Those bowls are some kind of tight when first out of the box. I couldn't get mine off at first either. Just use a strap wrench or something similar and it will let go.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahah you wimps! :D just teasing.yes,them sob's are really on there from the factory.it's crazy.you need the strap style wrenches to get 'em off without doing damage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I too had a hell of a time removing that plastic bowl. I finally got it off when I mounted it under my rig.. What a pain it was. I have not been under my rig in a few months so the next trip under I will be looking that bowl over closely for crap..

Ocelotl

Reaction score
FWIW, here's some pics of my installation.

You must be registered for see images

Plenty of room between the bowl and the frame.

I put the relay to the right of the fender solenoid.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to put mine where you have it pictured but the hood hinge or the hood will hit it . i made an L-bracket and mounted it back by the heater box .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726