Installing a transmission cooler/pump on a ZF 5-speed?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early in 2011, I towed my trailer down to Nevada from SW Washington (and back again) and had some issues with my transmission temperatures (among other things).

(I had a Hypermax turbo, Delphi BBs, and a Moose Pump installed in March of 2011. I also installed a boost gauge, a pyrometer and a transmission oil temperature gauge.)

I'm trying to get all of the kinks worked out of my truck, building it into a tow rig that I can haul all day (500 miles+) and not have any issues with. I recently pulled my trailer out to Pendleton, OR from the Vancouver, WA area (a little over 200 miles) in 95* heat and my transmission oil temp. gauge told me my tranny oil was up to 270* (towards the end of the tow). My gauge only goes to 280*, so that's a bit too high. I've heard about installing a pump and tranny cooler on a ZF 5 speed, but I've searched around and can't find any info describing such a thing.

My initial thoughts are to use a Facet Duralift pump and a tranny cooler I've got that came out of a 1985 F350 with a C6. I've already installed a Facet to replace the mechanical fuel pump, so I'm familiar with the installation of it.

The overall plan would be to drill two holes in the case, the supply down low and the return up high on the passenger side, have a couple of hard lines plumbed into the holes, the Facet in the return line mounted on the passenger side frame rail (maybe?) and the tranny cooler mounted up in the front under the grill somewhere. All of this would be tied together using rubber lines. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking this would add about a quart of oil capacity, so that would be a benefit as well. Under normal conditions, I wouldn't need it on, so it would act as a stock system. I'd have a manual relay-activating switch mounted in the cab, so I could drive the truck with it switched off most of the time, but if my temps got too high, I could switch it on.

Has anyone done something similar to this? If not, I'd like to gather as much information as possible and create a posting for the Tech Articles.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This is a great idea, I believe the newer superduty ZF6 units have an external cooler with an internal pump...

I was going over in my head how one might go about doing this, without drilling holes into the transmission case. I feel that 270 is way too hot for any transmission to run. The oil changes composition at that temperature. It doesn't lubricate like it should. Since the ZF is a constant mesh transmission, all of the gears are moving together all of the time...

What I was thinking about doing is removing the drain plug, and drill/tap (I was thinking 1/4" npt, but might have to go smaller, like 1/8" npt) a port on that before threading it back in. Then you could mount a hose barb fitting with a 90 degree angle. Your return could go in the top of the PTO cover...

That way you could do all the drilling and tapping on the bench, with the parts removed, thus limiting the risk of drilling through something important... ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I was thinking about doing is removing the drain plug, and drill/tap (I was thinking 1/4" npt, but might have to go smaller, like 1/8" npt) a port on that before threading it back in. Then you could mount a hose barb fitting with a 90 degree angle. Your return could go in the top of the PTO cover... That way you could do all the drilling and tapping on the bench, with the parts removed, thus limiting the risk of drilling through something important... ;Sweet

That is a much better idea than drilling into the case. I already have the driver's side PTO cover drilled with a nut welded on for the tranny oil temp gauge, I could do the same thing on the passenger side for the cooler return line. ;Sweet

what are you using for fluid, and how many quarts?

You must be registered for see images

I'm using this at the stock level.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I'm using the same fluid, Amsoil synthetic ATF. Makes shifting much easier...

As far as the pump, I would think the facet pump would do a good job, might be overkill considering you aren't planning on running the cooler full time... For as light as ATF is I think one of the cheap parts-store electric pumps might do the trick? :dunno

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the pump, I would think the facet pump would do a good job, might be overkill considering you aren't planning on running the cooler full time... For as light as ATF is I think one of the cheap parts-store electric pumps might do the trick? :dunno

I follow what you're saying, but my theory is since I plan on keeping this truck until hell freezes over, the zombies overrun us all and we're in caves making fires to keep warm, I wanna buy a good pump with a proven track record. The Facet has been installed by many on this forum (including me) and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I follow what you're saying, but my theory is since I plan on keeping this truck until hell freezes over, the zombies overrun us all and we're in caves making fires to keep warm

Oh, so you mean until after the end of the Obama administration... ;Really

I'm kidding.. please don't ban me, moderators (Towcat)... :D

I agree with you then, go for the quality pump! I would also look at a magnefine filter inline too... ;Sweet

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How/were did you install the transmission oil temperature senser?
This might be a stupid question but could you use that port as your feed line and maybe put a T in line for the senser?

This sounds like a great idea. I also want my truck setup to towing this would be a nice upgrade

edit; looks like I was typing when this got answered ;)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told to never run ATF in a zf5. It will run hotter. Only gear oil. As for your idea it's a good one I've been workin on the same thing

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How/were did you install the transmission oil temperature senser?

You must be registered for see images

This is on the driver's side PTO cover.

This might be a stupid question but could you use that port as your feed line and maybe put a T in line for the senser?

I think that would be a possibility. As you can see, the up-pipes for the Hypermax turbo somewhat restrict what part of the PTO plate is available. I'm planning on dropping in a Cummins one of these days; since the turbo design is quite different, there wouldn't be any restrictions on the driver's side PTO plate. I wonder if I could just flip the PTO cover over, plumb in a tee and use it as a return when I do that...

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told to never run ATF in a zf5. It will run hotter. Only gear oil.

Uhh... factory specs call for ATF. What weight you use can depend on your application, but I think gear oil is a bit thick for these trannys.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh... factory specs call for ATF. What weight you use can depend on your application, but I think gear oil is a bit thick for these trannys.

The straight 30w is too thick also. I am running a 10w-30 and am thinking of changing back to ATF. To the original poster, I think I would pull the temp sensor out, put some synthetic atf in the tranny and save some money. Is there really anything to worry about? There is such a thing as too much information. Has anyone heard of chronic failures with the zf from overheating the tranny?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the original poster, I think I would pull the temp sensor out, put some synthetic atf in the tranny and save some money. Is there really anything to worry about? There is such a thing as too much information. Has anyone heard of chronic failures with the zf from overheating the tranny?

I think 270* is too hot for my transmission, regardless of how many problems other people have had with overheating ZFs. I did talk to a guy a couple of years ago at one of punkmechanic's BBQs who told me he had blown up a ZF due to overheating while towing. He installed a new ZF with a tranny cooler and temp gauge and had no problems since.

You may be right, but my transmission now has just over 180K miles on it and I'd like to have it last as long as possible. If it ends up costing me $150 to install this but extends the life of my tranny 50K, it will be well worth it.

...put some synthetic atf in the tranny...

I'm already running a synthetic ATF, see post #4 above.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Did some reading online, I lifted this off FTE (credit goes to mueckster), looks like the ZF6 does have an external cooler...

You must be registered for see images attach

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a reason ZF went with an internal pump and external cooler design on the 6-speed. ;Sweet

If you want to install a cooler on your ZF, but don't want the hassle of drilling, routing cooling lines and plumbing in coolers and pumps, here's something RLDSL sent me in a PM awhile ago:

http://sio.midco.net/fastcoolers/

I called the guy up last year and chatted with him, and IIRC they extend out from the tranny about three inches. It would probably work well except for the fact that with my Hypermax turbo up-pipes there isn't room for them.

Last edited: