F250 HD rear brake job

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
Chilton manual makes it look easy ;Sweet . looking for some real world experience before i plunk down the green backs at midas :puke: ....any prefered brands of brake shoes? tips or tricks? :hail to anyone who can help with answers.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Its not hard. Do one side at a time, that way you can use the other side as a reference if needed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year Truck, and dually or not? Put some signiture info in your profile so we have it with every post, and Welcome! Dana 70 and Ford 10.25 are pretty much the same once you get them apart, but getting them apart, that's a big difference.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
Agnem, thank you for the warm welcome and for all the time and expertise you have devoted to this forum, it has already gotten me out of at least one jam and im sure more to come. new sig should be working. thanks again for the replies fellas. any special tools required other than normal shop tools? (i have a full cabinet shop and most size combo wrenches and sockets)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An 89 should be a Ford 10.25. You will be able to just pull the drum off, and not have to mess with the hubs. Lucky you!

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
im at work so i dont have the guide in front of me, but what was the hard part about getting the drum off :confused: ? any tricks and or suggestions? the local shops were quoting me around $400 :eek: to do the job and i said screw that -cuss !

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you hopefully will just have to wiggle them around a bit, working back and forth while pulling. If that doesn't work you will need a brake spoon (less than 5 bucks at you local parts store) and will have to back the brakes off. the Chilton manual should detail how to do this, it's pretty simple. No way in hell I'd pay $400 for something I can do for myself in an hour or two for 50 bucks. Check the thickness of the padding on your shoes before you take them off. I think 1/16" is the min. but Chilton's should tell you for sure. They may not even need to be replaced. Some shops will tell you they do when you still several thousand miles left on them. Schwabs told my girfriend ours needed to be replaced when they still had 3/16" of padding left on them.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
you guys are awesome thanks for the help! i think im going to do the brakes, the heim joint conversion for my clutch, the ram air intake, and replace all my glows plugs in one great long weekend here soon.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
My drums had not been off for a long time (didn't help that it sat for 3 years before I got my hands on it) I ended up taking the whole hub off, and giving it a few good blows with a large hammer to seperate them. After that they seemed to come on and off the hub with out any problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online