F100 with a IDI

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 6, it most likley is a SD-33T as was installed in the Scouts. The Chrysler in the name comes from Chrysler Marine, apparently they were very popular in marine applications.
I used to see parts for 'em on e-bay regularly.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82F100SWB said:
I used to see parts for 'em on e-bay regularly.
That's cool! My biggest issue with my SD-33T was finding parts...got oil filters at a forklift shop, but just about anything else was next to impossible to find and cost a fortune and a half. That's why I didn't try to rebuild the engine when it went on me.

As to mileage, on paper, it was supposed to get between 20 and 25 mpg (with a T-19, 3.73 gears and 31" tires), but I was only getting 15 when I checked it (which was only a few times). This may have been due to the cracked piston; I didn't start checking the fuel mileage until shortly before I got rid of the truck...it would be interesting to see how a healthy engine does...

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
FordGuy100 said:
Well I went over there this weekend to work for them, and my Grandpa hinted that if I wanted it I could have it.

After looking under the hood I descovered it already had a diesel in it, it the form of a turbocharged Chrysler Nissian 3 cylinder diesel rated at 100hp @ 2500rpm.

So I could either rebuild that engine , or I could put a IDI in it. So, my question to you guys is if you had the truck and were considering these options, which one would you pick (and why).

Hey. I would be happy to help you in your build if you want to get rid of the little turbo diesel. I am looking for something like that for a military jeep. :thumbsup:
I have a nice big shop and have done the conversion you speek of. There are three of those conversions still running around within a 10 mile radius. So you could get up close and personal if you like. Mine is long gone now.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I actually think that is a very nice little engine for a f100. It should get you good mileage, and is pretty light.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thank for all the input. And yes I did say 3 cylinder, unless you can get 6 cylinders to run off of 3 injector lines. I would love an IDI in it, but that motor is already in there. The thing wont turn over, and if parts to rebuild are hard to find and are expensive then I'll go the IDI route.

I didnt have long to look at it but it has all the essential gauges (pyro, boost, oil preasure, oil temp, and water temp). It has a automatic tranny and what seems to be an overdrive (lever were the manual tranny shift lever would be, but there is no clutch pedal on it). It has a flat bed on it and thats about all I've noticed.

Hey Magoo what part of southern oregon are you in.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will try to get some pics, but they live an hour away and I cant drive myself there (legally). I think in two weeks I'll be back there working for them again. I dont know why somebody would go through the trouble to get a motor like that in there only to have 100 horses (If I remembered right it was rated at 91 hp @ 1500 RPM listed as "continuous power").

Hopefully I can get that truck by the end of this summer, after I finish up doing what I want to do to my current truck.