Eye candy!! 7.3 Marine 275hp

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
Not connected in any way with this, I saw this on Craigslist. I have not seen very many of these and thought it was just plain COOL!!!! Seller has three one them for LOTS of $$$$

275hp Mercruiser marine 7.3 idi ( good reference for a turbo idi because it seems pretty high)

Appears to be air to water aftercooled too?????? And has a Huge Looking Turbo with a blow off valve and no wastegate
You must be registered for see images attach

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5101184833.html

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats pretty damn slick!
i wouldnt consider that a water aftercooler, the entire DP would be cooled if thats the case.
the tanks you see on the front are the heat exchangers.
and the salt water exits the exchanger out of the downpipe.
like most marine applications.
it dont cool the EGT's its designed to muffle the exhaust.

i once explored putting PSD's in my boat,
but it would eat up drives, even the big gnarly konrads.
IDI's are no good for my boat because i need 500 hp each.
would be great for a fishing boat.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Wonder what kind of pumps and injectors it's running?? Db4's? Very cool designs. Not much of an air filter but I guess there's not much dust on big water?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could put one in my boat... go from a 4.3 to a 7.3...:rotflmao

Click on picture....

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find! ;Sweet

That big red thing on top of the white and red engines looks like an air to water intercooler (aftercooler) to me.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The box on the top is a water to air intercooler.

Don't see a blow off valve, just the hose to dump cooling water into the exhaust.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have a '76 Campion 19' cuddy that would fit nicely in......

Why didn't they offer that hp output in vehicles? That be nice.

they did..... minor history lesson to follow.....
marine engines are rated at the flywheel, and there is essentially no loss through the drive (you have a direct shaft to a gear that turns either a forward or reverse gear), but after 1971 automobile manufacturers started to give HP ratings fully dressed (net instead of gross, which calculated the output of a ‘bare’ engine on a test stand with no accessories, free-flowing exhaust headers (no mufflers), and optimal ignition timing, with a correction factor for standard atmospheric conditions), which results in a loss of 5%-25% depending on accessories (a/c being driven, dyno your truck with an 80 amp alt then with a 160 amp alt and you'll notice a difference because of the power needed to drive the stinkin' thing), contrary to popular belief, factory engine ratings, either net or gross, are ALL measured at the flywheel
that is why a 1971 Mustang with a 302 is rated at 210hp, and a 1972 with the same engine is rated at 140hp, since in all reality the engines make the same power, and your OMC or Mercruiser 302 is 175 to 210 (300cfm, 350cfm, or 500 cfm carb) from the 60's to the 90's, and those are just standard truck engines with marine carbs, w/p, starter, and alternator (that is pretty much what makes any engine a marine engine, the old 2.5 mercruisers were just a chevy "iron horse" 4-banger, the 3.0 is essentially the same engine)

Society of American Engineers (SAE) standards J245 and J1995 measure gross hp rating.
SAE standard J1349 measured net HP, “Net” horsepower ratings are still made with the engine on a test stand, but with stock ignition timing, carburetion, exhaust, and accessories (including a/c pump engaged): in short, a closer approximation of how much power an engine produces as actually installed in the car. This results in a drop in advertised hp, but doesn't change how much the engine actually produces.
in 2005, when the SAE issued standard J2723 to clarify and tighten the existing methodology and require an independent observer be present when the ratings are measured, most American market manufacturers adopted it, and if you look at advertised hp from a 2004 engine and the same in 2006, under these new “SAE-certified output” guidelines, some engines ended up with lower ratings than before, while a few actually increased. In most cases, the engines were not actually altered in any way — the testing methodology had just changed (yet again).
German (and UK) automakers use DIN guidelines for net hp ratings, similar to SAE, but not the same. Italians use CUNA standards, and Japan used to use JIS standards before switching to SAE.

I'm NOT a certified mechanic, just a car guy (also a boat guy) in the know. I did call a buddy for some of the specific information (long term independent mechanic), and he gave me the SAE standard numbers (Tom's one of those guys who can tell you what factory parts to grab from what cars in what years to make a full-race motor).

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That kinda info requires more Thank You than justa cursory 'thanks' on the thread-tools. So, Thank you for that info. ;Sweet

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That power rating isn't that far off from what a standard idi with an aftermarket turbo will get if you count the differences between net and gross HP as mentioned above, so I doubt there's much special about those engines internally. Marine practice generally lets you have higher power ratings both due to the unlimited ultimate heat sink for cooling, but also due to the operating practice. A marine engine is likely to see a steady constant load for a long period of time and not have to be highly responsive or see the constant power fluctuations that a road engine would see, nor does it need to deal with changes in elevation (air density) or driving habits. All of this allows the engine to operate closer to the design limits in a factory config - a truck engine is going to speced somewhat conservatively from the factory to allow some buffer for poor driving, high altitude, etc etc for reliability reasons. A marine engine, like one with an aftermarket turbo/adjustment can run closer to the real limits of the engine because it needs less buffer.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those engines look similar to the the Powr Star engines discussed a few posts back and where I posted a '93 sales Powr Star brochure for. They were 260 hp for the TD and 200 for the NA, spun up to 3400 rpm (that's the pleasure boat rating not the commercial rating, which is about 25% lower). I don't see anything that states these are 275 hp except what the guy claims. Maybe they are 275 hp but that among several other ratings I have are for the PSD Mercruiser, which is either 275 or 300 hp (pleasure boat). At some point, I'll get around to scanning that brochure and post it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin