Extended cab side window trim

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find how to remove the side window from my '88 f250. Do I simply pry it off? Just below my drivers side is starting to get some small surface rust and I want to remove the trim clean it up and prim it.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull interior trim out & should have nuts on the outer trim mounting posts. Be very careful not to break these

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull interior trim out & should have nuts on the outer trim mounting posts. Be very careful not to break these

So the outer trim piece is attached from the inside??? I NEVER would have guessed that. Are the mounting posts going to be brittle plastic studs?

(Sorry to threadjack, I had the same question haha)

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall, yes they are plastic on my '86. '88 may have metal inserts. Once you pull the interior panel it's easy to see

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '91 had metal studs. The studs penetrate the holder that holds the glass and the glass holder is stuck to the body with a thick butyl rubber strip around the edge. It's likely that you can massage the metal trim out from the glass holder without braking the seal but be prepared to have to reseal the glass to the body of the truck if it comes unstuck while you're pushing on it. And wear two layers of rubber gloves, that butyl rubber is supper nasty gummy stringy stuff that gets everywhere and ruins any cloth it touches. Especially when it's warm. When I took ours out, I put each in a trash bag and put them in the freezer to solidify the butyl in a way that made it peel away from the glass holder without smearing and creating a hell of a mess. It took two trips to the freezer each to get it all off for me.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely bolted in and requires removing interior trim to access fasteners. Take extra care handling that plastic cause it's old, brittle, and sometimes difficult to locate replacements. Biggest problem will be getting the should belt anchor bolts out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online