explorer fuel tank in 94 idi

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by ISPKI, Oct 6, 2017.

1. IDIoit

IDIoit MachinistFabricator Supporting Member

3 birds 1 stone, sorta?
    it would keep the fuel cool if you ran some cooling fins.
    im sure the IP is strong enough to lift the fuel all the way back up :D

2. IDIoit

IDIoit MachinistFabricator Supporting Member

also, has anyone looked at the ohm rating on the senders on this already bad idea?

3. FarmerFrank

FarmerFrank Full Access Member

If the tank will fit between your bed and frame, I'd say go for it.

If my flat bed had skirts I'd be interested in the myself so I could move my mid ship tank out. Probably end up building my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ISPKI

ISPKI Lumber Chucker

Thing is, the tank would be relatively well protected by the 6inch I beam crossmembers in the bed, except for the bottom of the tank.

5. david85

david85 Full Access Member

A gas tank for a passenger vehicle is usually quite flimsy and surrounded the frame to protect it. Saddle tanks on a highway rig are usually made of heavier material because they are more likely to get hit. So even though OEMs can still build saddle tank setups, that doesn't mean its legal to retrofit onto a light vehicle that didn't originally have it. If there are no inspections in your state, then it may not matter.

However, as you just mentioned, the underside would not be well protected, and since you have a 4x4, that could be the most vulnerable area if you ever get high-ended near the edge of a trail.

I get that you want to use a freebie that just dropped in your lap, but overall, it would be a lot less headache to just replace the stock tank. They can be had on fleabay for anywhere between $100-$200 depending on whether you go for the cheaper steel tank or fork out extra for a plastic tank.

6. ISPKI

ISPKI Lumber Chucker

I get what you're saying, however, federal law mandates that the fuel tanks conform to the same strength requirements. Primarily, they have to survive a drop from 10ft while full without deformation or leaking.

If I do get around to doing this, I would most certainly mount a skid plate under it exactly how the factory tank is mounted.