Expert advice wanted on "Level 1" mods

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
Just traded in my beloved 88 IDI for a 99 Powerstroke that is virtually stock mechanically. I'd like to work on a few performance mods to begin with such as:Turbo,injectors/fuel system/and programming/tuners. For now my question relates to the tuner side. For me, looking to have the truck tow 25-30ft steel stock trailers with cattle and hogs off and on, mild street performence aka(fun:) and fuel economy if possible for highway traveling. Any input on tuners that work well with this particular truck that I can achieve most if not all of the "wants"?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gauges, gauges, gauges....then think about mods. To set yourself up for future power increases you need to do an open air intake, open up the exhaust with a turbo back system. Do the 10 or 18k mod and shim your FPR. Tell us about your tranny? Auto or manual? The 4r100 needs some help if you plan on adding any ponies under the hood, the DMFW is prone to problems as usual.

Do all the above FIRST, then think about a chip and injectors or fuel system mods.

GUAGES GUAGES GUAGES!!!!

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
I already got a 3 guage pillar pod with the boost,fuel pressure and pyro on the pillar and a trans temp on the steering column. It's an automatic, K&N will be the next add on and most likely MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust. But My question is after I do the prerequisites for the chip what are some reliable, "user friendly" models that have been tested by fellow strokers and work well...And I'm guessing the FPR stands for fuel pressure regulator? what does the shim do exactly

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont buy a ****** tuner, buy a multi position chip such as a ts or dp. 7.3s do much better with them. get custom programs for it from beans or swamps, somewhere that knows these engines. early 99 or late 99?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get a chip from Tony or Jody before I put a tuner on it. These 7.3s respond to custom burned chips way better than tuners. With that said you really need to know what ALL your mods will be so you can tell your chip burner what you want.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
So far on the truck I have a Dp 4 stage( stock, 60, 80, and 120) tuner. DP tranny with billet shafts and 3 disc torque converter. AFE intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, fass fuel system, dual terminator pumps pushin 61psi...Ball buster turbo pushin 37psi under load, dpp 250cc injectors...Lucas oil products all the way around...This is a new truck that I should be picking up on Monday!!

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You lost me...

First post talks of a bone stock 99 and the above post refers to a highly modified PSD.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I do agree with what these guys say about chips instead of tuners and what not. However, for what I wanted to do, the Edge CTS programmer was the only mod I needed to get 3 more MPG and what feels like about 40-50 extra HP, and that is running only on power level 2, plus all the gages you can get with the available PID's. One purchase, one plug, stuck it to the windsheild, reprogrammed the PCM, and I wish I had done it years ago. I think for the money the best mod would be a better torque converter if you have the 4R100. That thing is about worthless until the clutch locks up.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
All new mods done to the truck the last few days, had a friend who parted out his 99 and we spent the last couple days in the shop...hoping to get it on a dyno this coming week and check out the numbers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger