Exhaust Single or Duals

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I am planning on redoing the exhaust system and was wondering if you guys thought that a single exhaust 3 or 4 inches would work as well as 3 in duals. Or at that size it doesn't really matter. I was also looking for a aftermarket y pipe, where can I find one of these. I just want to know your opinions on what type of exhaust to run.
Thanks
Bill

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have true duals on mine and they aren't too bad. I am going to change to a single 3" eventually. It had the duals on it when I bought it so I have just left it. Unless you are running a turbo there is not much point in going over 3" on the IDI's I don't think.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have read from other posts that even with a turbo, you don't "really" ;Really need more than 3" pipe but you are reading this from a guy with two 5" stacks :D :Sly

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Bill, First thing is do you have a turbo? If not then the Duals are cool. If you have a 4x4 then it is tight to get 2 3" pipes past the Transfer Case.

My suggestion for a NA is get the aftermarket Y pipe, Auto Jet had a High Flow Y pipe for our trucks, Contact them to find out if they still carry them, Price was a lot better than the Banks Stuff,

Try http://www.mandrelbending-tubefabrication.com/index.html

Then I would get a 3" pipe to 3" a single in dual out High Performance Muffler,(flowmaster) and have some custom 3" dual tailpipes bent. The system sounds great, and will be all the flow that you will need.

If you have a turbo, Just straightpipe it all the way back, no muffler minimum of 3".

There is my .02 Good luck!

Darrin

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any certain kind of muffler to use or are they all about the same? i want to do a 3" single with a very hi flow muffler. Wish I had the turbo so I could just strait pipe it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
fx4wannabe said:
any certain kind of muffler to use or are they all about the same? i want to do a 3" single with a very hi flow muffler. Wish I had the turbo so I could just strait pipe it.

I did the auto jet y-pipe into a Summit Racing muffler, then a 3 inch mandrel bent 90 up into a crossover box, the to twin 3 inch stacks. Sounds great, not real loud, but gets louder at the top of the RPM range, VERY deep and throaty. I love it! Of course I am na also. I had true duals, about 1 7/8 pipe with glass packs, sound like a fox raiding the hen house, whole bunch of cackling, high EGT's and nothing really happening!

Here's a couple of pics of the cross box.

Attachments

• Stack cross box.jpg
    Stack cross box.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Stack cross box mounted.jpg
    Stack cross box mounted.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 19
  • Stack cross box mounted 2.jpg
    Stack cross box mounted 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 18

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I don't have a turbo and it is a 4x4. I was going to order the aftermarket y pipe and I was going to run duals that exit in front of the rear tires at 45 deg angles. I was just wondering if it is going to be better to split the pipe right after the y pipe or like darrin said and split it after the muffler.
Thanks
Bill

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would do exactly as Darrin said in your case. Even then, if you ever went turbo, you could plumb it into your single inlet/dual outlet and be good to go! I think they sound great as well when the exhaust is kept together like that and then split. While I didn't use the dual outlet muffler, I did split it and that was what I guess I was trying to show! :) I love the sound and performance of mine, let alone the drop in EGT's.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fx4wannabe said:

I have a Gibson muffler with a 3" inlet and outlet. When I bought the muffler I looked inside it and could see right through it. I thought it would be really loud installed but its not. It has a mellow rumble sound to it and sounds really good. Makes my non turbo IDI sounds like it is a high performance big block.

Flowmaster? I stayed away from them on purpose. Had one on the Cadillac ambulance when I bought it and the first thing I did was have it taken off and a stock muffler put on because it was to loud. I have a friend who used to build race cars and he recommended a Gibson to a guy that has a Ford gasser over a Flowmaster. After hearing his truck I knew Gibson was the way to go for me. See what I have HERE.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynomax makes a good prouduct also. I know a guy that has a 3in Dynomax Bullet muffler on his N/A 7.3. Sounds great at Idle, gets a little loud at high RPM, but is still quieter than a gasser. I use Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers on the race car and everyone loves them! Really deep rumble @ Idle and its quiet enough for the street. (also its a straight through design)