Exhaust prep questions

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to bolt on the exhaust manifolds and turbo piping but I'm wondering how much if any prep I should do. The driver side manifold in this pic I sand blasted over a year ago and it has light surface rust again. No big deal. The passenger side needs to be blasted, I should get to that tomorrow. I have header wrap and was intending to wrap the cross over pipe and the up pipe because I heard that helps put more thermal energy to the turbine. Will blasting and painting the crossover pipe help it last longer? Is there any reason besides cosmetics to blast the manifolds?

Another question about the up pipe and slip joint. The consensus here was to leave it alone, but the fact that the two are not bottomed out together makes me nervous and makes me wonder if that's gonna raise the turbo up enough to cause grief hooking into the intake hat. Are they supposed to be bottomed out or is it almost like pipe thread in which it gets tighter the further it goes together?

Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want anything that you use exhaust wrap on to be very clean underneath. If there’s already rust it will continue to rot the metal away at an accelerated rate especially in the north

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If/when I get a turbo on mine I'm planning on looking into ceramic coating like they do on headers. I think the place I read about was "jet hot" maybe? It didn't sound too expensive and won't hold moisture in like the wrap. I'm not sure if anyone here has experience with them or not, I haven't asked on here yet for opinions on it. I'm pretty sure they had some thermal coating.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I blasted and nickel plated mine.

[emoji6]

Might tap the manifold for a pyro probe if you don’t have one. Now is the time.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I blasted and nickel plated mine.

[emoji6]

Might tap the manifold for a pyro probe if you don’t have one. Now is the time.
Didn't even think of the pyro. How's that work? Is it a coupler welded on the manifold or do you drill and tap then screw in a receiver? Beautiful job on those parts.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill and tap it, unless you want to preheat and weld a bung on the cast manifold

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, I'll go for the drill and tap. I've been welding since 04 but never played with cast. My first rodeo will come soon enough when I install a v clamp around the 093 ats exhaust outlet housing. Luckily the previous owner already upgraded to the true 3" but that slip joint just don't get me off. Also, do they make nickel mig wire? Not to happy about having to stick it.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with stainless mig wire. There are alloys available with enough nickel that it doesn’t go through the crystal structure change that causes the shrinkage (why you use nickel rod on cast). There’s a guy on YouTube I’ve seen do it and I was reasonably impressed.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got a quote for ceramic coating. $300 for the two headers in glacier silver or black. I personally decided I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got a quote for ceramic coating. $300 for the two headers in glacier silver or black. I personally decided I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would depend for me. Up here that'd pay for itself if it was driven in winter. I got 3-4 years out of an exhaust system on my old Chevy before it literally fell off from rust. My summer toy... I don't know. Good headers are $500+ for my car.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@laserjock did you have your manifolds surfaced on the gasket mating face before nickel coating? And you tapped the drivers side which, if I remember, is the best location to get a solid temp reading. I'm asking for verification for those who will undoubtedly come after me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online