Exhaust Leak

gdubyah76

Reaction score
After having my clutch replaced a few months ago I started to be able to smell exhaust in the cab at times. Finally took the time today to do some looking and found that the clamp where the turbo connects to the downpipe (all factory turbo & downpipe) was the source of my leak. Is there any type of gasket/ring that should be between this joint before I tighten it up? When I tighten it up should the ends of the bands touch or will it be tight "enough" before that happens?

Thanks for any & all help

gdubyah76

Reaction score
My lack of patience got the best of me on this one. Tightened clamp up enough to make the end of the t-bolt torque up & pull one end out of the clamp. Even then the joint was still gapping enough to leak.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isnt a gasket or any sealant that goes in there. Maybe the down pipe is dinged up and not sealing? Everytime i take it apart i think what i teribble design it is, i dont see how it can stay sealed at all.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clamp is likely stretched beyond use.

gdubyah76

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to be replacing the clamp with a new one once I figure out which one I'll need. I was thinking about it last night & I'm wondering if the exhaust pipe might have been misaligned when the joint was made up after the reinstallation of the tranny. Is there usually enough slack in the exhaust pipe to let the clamp pull it & the downpipe together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance